Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles >

Thimbles

Thimbles

Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 PM

I use "W"nder Thimble", it is a soft blue plastic like thimble. I like it because I can feel the needle without getting poked. I keep several, in my travel sewing wallet, by my sewing machine and a few extra in my sewing notion box.

I tried the metal and the hard plastic, the leather and others. Once I found this thimble, I did not try others. I mostly use it for long stitch quilting and for quilt binding..
Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 PM

I wear one thimble when quilting. I recommend "Comfort Thimble" made by a company out of Oregon.

I hand piece and wear either a Dritz Soft Comfort Thimble (JoAnn's) on my right middle finger (right handed) or wear two leather thimbles (one on my left thumb and one on my right middle finger). It just depends on the force I will be using (number of seams I am going through, etc) that will determine if I prefer the Dritz or leather thimbles. The leather thimbles are made by a woman on Etsy (nsmartist).
Old 03-20-2017, 02:19 AM

I always use one, too. I like the cheap metal kind, but my second favorite is a jelly one. They have to fit snugly in order to work well, so I cut my fingernail to fit inside. I also lick my fingertip before putting it on so that it doesn't slide around. It takes some practice but really works well if you're hand appliqueing using straw needles.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 AM

i have been epp for about 2 years now and my middle finger becomes a calloused peeling mess. I can't get used to a regular thimble or the dots. I was at a show this past week and chatted with a couple gals that ran a epp/ ribbon emb booth. I ended up getting an open top( I have long nails) metal adjustable thimble. it felt comfortable, so I'm excited about trying it!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 AM

Over the years I have tried many thimbles, cheap to expensive. The one I love is the Comfort Thimble. Hardly know it's on my finger.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I love the thimbles that are metal at the very bottom and the rest of the thimble is rubber. Mine is pink... You have the metal part to push with, and I use the rubber part as a 'gripper' to pull my needle through. I use the gripper function more than the thimble function, actually.

http://www.lacouseriecreative.com/20...nforcement.jpg
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 AM

I have used a TJ Lane thimble for 20+ years. She was a guild member of mine. Mine has my birthstone set in it and a place for my fingernail . It is the best-fitting thimble I have ever worn. I like that she has a trial size spread at the quilt shows where you can try on several and choose which one fits better. I had, in the past, tried leather, the dime-store variety thimbles, and even the vet-tape wrapped around my finger. TJ Lane's is the best I have ever tried.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Can you give me the site?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM
mim

I learned to sew as a child. My grandmother had me wear a thimble all day for several days and I soon forgot that I even had it on. It made it very easy to sew, embroider and quilt with one on. No sore finger. I have several sizes for when my finger changes size with the heat or cold.

You can find some lovely silver or gold ones in antique shops.

Mim
Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 AM

At a quilt show a few years ago, I purchased a Clover Protect and Grip thimble. I have small hands, so trying to find thimbles that stay on was an issue. I absolutely love this thimble because the neoprene makes it stay on and it never slips off. The thimble comes in several sizes. I purchased the pink one. https://www.amazon.com/Clover-6026-M.../dp/B002OVGJDU