Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thimbles >

thimbles

thimbles

Old 11-29-2022, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

I made my own Soft Suede Thimble

I think I'll look for suede or soft leather gloves at thrift stores. Cut the finger tip part that fits and make a thimble. Thanks for the idea quiltedsunshine.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:47 AM

I've been using cheapie metal thimbles from Joann's for many years. It has an indent at the top. They may be Dritz but I'm not sure. You can try them on in the store before buying. I make sure my middle fingernail isn't too long. I also lick my finger before putting it on, and it usually stays. Whatever works!
Old 11-30-2022, 02:58 AM

It sounds like most are complaining about the fit of the thimble. Thimbles come in sizes. eBay has nice silver thimbles. I also use my ring finger. My finger uses either a 11 or 12 depending upon how fat my finger is on any day.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:56 AM

This is the one I use https://www.thimblelady.com/shop/quilting-thimbles/. Their sizing instructions are perfect.

I started out with the plastic one to confirm the size and see how comfortable it actually was. It was perfect! When I wore that out, I upgraded to the stainless steel version. I'm now on my second of those after wearing out the first (hole through a couple of the dimples). They are designed to use the pad of your finger to push vs the tip. It really is a much more comfortable way of sewing.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I've never gotten the hang of metal thimbles and I've tried many so I use leather. I find them on Etsy and they work great for me.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:35 AM

Thimbles sure are one of the most persnickety notions used in our craft! I, too, have never found the perfect fit and am currently using a leather one purchased on Etsy. It's certainly cute and works okay - better than any of the metal or pads I've tried - but I wouldn't say it's amazing. I will try the Bohin suggested above.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:05 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Well... I never could use a traditional thimble. I tried the stick on dots, but felt like I had to aim for them. The leather ones are so bulky, they're just in the way. So I made my own Soft Suede Thimble. It's too small to stay on by itself, so I put a dab of washable glue stick on my finger to keep it on. It's the best thimble I've ever used. It's so small and light weight, I forget I have it on. It just feels natural. So I actually make them and sell them locally.
This is exactly what I do! I glue it on with Elmers!!
Old 11-30-2022, 04:47 PM

I have two thimbles that I use. My favorite was my Grandmas and is silver with her initials and a flower design engraved on it. She was also left handed like me. Of course that makes no difference for a thimble so I put a piece of tape inside and that helps me to keep it on. Apparently her fingers must have been a little bigger than mine. I also have a necklace that has a little cage that I put the thimble in. It always attracts attention when I wear it. It is so precious to me as it is all I have from my paternal Grandmother. I would send a pix but I can't seem to post pictures any more.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:17 AM

I found a pair of leather work gloves at the home store that fit and cut the tips off. Lots of leather thimbles.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:21 AM

BTW, I have found the jelly thimbles work pretty well, too. I buy one that's pretty snug and it actually stays on.