Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thimbles?

I would recommend trying the plastic version - then if you thought that was okay, then I would move to the stainless steel version. ....................
    I have never bought the additional resources ................
    I hope that helps.[/quote]

KiwiQuilter, thanks for your very helpful response. I very much appreciate it. I think I will order one of the plastic thimbles. Yes, they do seem expensive in comparison to some other thimbles, but if they are good well made and above all useful I suppose the extra expense is worth it.
    Thanks again for going to the trouble of writing such a good and complete review!

Glad my review was helpful. If you have any other questions, just PM me and I'll help you out.

I was thinking about showing a photo - but I don't think that would be very helpful to you. I use a size M (medium) - but since you can't see my finger that's not going to be much help either :(

Definitely shop around - if I recall there are places in the US and Canada that sell these thimbles.

My thoughts on these thimbles (the 2 I have) are that they will be my thimbles for life. Okay, maybe not life, but maybe the next 20 years. I hand quilt exclusively and while working full time I manage to complete 1 queen size quilt a year.

Thanks again. I've been to ThimbleLady's website and I was wondering if the plastic ones hold up well.
    I've also made a trip to your website/blog and may I say your work is stunning! Constellation Traveller is magnificent. The quilting is exquisite.
    How is that foot getting on? Are you back to health?
    Take care and thanks again, Big Quilty Hugs to You

I got it my thimble at a Millhouse quilts in Wannakee, Wisconsin. I have seen many of them at quilt shows that they can form fit to your finger.

so far the only one I can wear is a leather one that covers my whole finger - and I have tried them all. I don't do much hand sewing so it isn't really a huge dea.

Japanese thimbles are the ones that I find easiest. They go on like rings and can be in metal or leather(with a plastic back). Sashiko thimbles are good for pushing with your palm.

i make my own thimbles out of left over leather from my buck skin dress. that way i get what i want or need. they work so nicely

Thanks for info on jelly thimbles. I've seen them at the quilt store, but never tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by jdeery
    You will buy all kinds of thimbles, and it is whatever is comfortable for you. I use the jelly thimbles and I do
    use it on my thumb to be able to go bottom up, and
    middle finger I use for going down or across. But you
    will find your own comfort way of doing it.

When I was able to hand quilt I used a leather thimble on ether the middle or ring finger,also used my very strong thumb nails.
    I was blessed with being able to quilt with ether hand.I did find that I needed to reinforce the pad on the leather thimbles as they ware thin quickly.But the correct thimble is the one that works best for you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

You may seem like an odd analogy, but finding and getting fitted for a thimble that works for you is JUST like the process of finding a bra that fits. Almost no one is fortunate to be able to go into a store, pick one off the rack and have it fit the first time. (And if they are, they're keeping as quiet as the women who had no symptoms when menopause hit.) I have several types of thimbles, which I use for different things; and after many years of frustration buying bras, I am now making my own.... and am very happy!

Blog Entries
    Same here. I just can't for the life of me use a thinble. My Mother never sewed without one when she was living. I have tried but just can't use one. Good luck. Glad someone is going to begin quilting and doing hand quilting at that. Don't give up dear.

Power Poster
    Haven't used a thimble in quite some time> I had trouble with them right from the start and could never get used to them and I have several varieties that I tried. I end up using the old stick the finger and thumb technique.

Blog Entries
    I have stubbed off fingers (thank you dad!) so I use a leather thimble. NONE of the others (and I did try lots of them), fit my fingers. I use it for any hand sewing I do.

"I've also read that some quilters use their thumbnail to quilt away from themselves."

i can't use a thimble which ever finger it is on i will use the next finger, my thumbnail works very well

I had never used a thimble until I took a beginner quilting class and the instructer urged us to learn to use them. So I now use a thimble with an indented top that has a bit of a ridge around it.

I was blessed to inherit a lot of craft type things from my grandmother when she pased. One of those things was a brass thimble, inside a brass bullet shaped case that also holds a few needles inside a wooden spindle that you can wind thread onto. Lucky me that the thimble fit my finger. If ever I have to shop for another thimble, I think it will be a hard decision as there are so many choices now!!!

Patti

Dee
    I just can't seem to use a thimble. I have several and am a klutz with one.

I have never learned to use thimbles either but I'm renewing my efforts after butchering my long finger trying to do some needlework the other night. This thread came along just at the right time and I never knew there were so many types of thimbles. I am doing my research and am going to find one that works for me instead of giving up on it again. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have 2 Roxanne thimbles already and I have ordered the tedstorm thimble and an adjustable clover thimble for my thumb and I also found a paddle thimble on ebay that I got for $3.99 and all of them just arrived in the mail. Now I can't wait to get off work so that I can go home and practice with them.

When I took Ted Storm's quilting class ( so lucky that she lives here in Holland!) I learned to use her Thumb Thimble. We had to learn to use two thimbles on one hand ( one on the middle finger, one on the thumb) so we could quilt in all directions. It took a while for me to get the hang of it, but now I see the benefits of the skill. She urged us to also leave our thimbles on until we forgot they were on our hand!
    I hope to get a Roxanne's thimble as soon as I find a place where I can actually try one on.

I know you already got your Roxanne thimbles (congrats!) and I hope they work well for you. I must say I agree with everything KiwiQuilter says regarding the Thimblelady thimbles. Their sizing instructions on their website are outstanding and (I thought) very accurate. Mine have always fit perfectly. Fit seems to me to be the most important factor in being able to work with a thimble. I think most of us had/have no clue as to how they are supposed to fit in order to use one effectively. FWIW, I also like the Thimblelady needles. I bought a couple of packs to try them and did like them as they are a bit longer but I'm really hooked on Roxanne needles (usually #12 or #11). A needle that works well for you, combined with a properly fit thimble, I think, makes all the difference in being able to hand quilt comfortably and effectively.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2