Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now >

Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now

Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now

Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Glad to hear that there are some engineers who are willing to be "good enough". my dad was an architectural engineer and everything had to be P-R-E-C-I-S-E!!! :)
dh's degree is in aeronautical engineering, and he was a marine fighter pilot.. a couple of occupations where close enough doesn't work...

he says he is precise, i say he is anal retentive... it has been very interesting to watch him work on this old old house, where nothing is, or maybe ever was, square, plumb or level....lol
Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the list, As a new quilter , it is VERY helpful.

I think rule #7 applies to just about everything in life! Wish I had this list 30 years ago lol
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

20) There is a learning curve. One makes mistakes. Most of them can be fixed. Some of them really aren't worth the effort to try to salvage. Remember - we are only cutting fabric, batting, and thread! this is not brain surgery!

21) Some days every thing seems to go wrong. I have no idea why. The day before everything seemed to be going okay - as far as I know, no one touched the machine or hid the rotary cutters or ran off with the thread or stacked the pieces wrong since yesterday. But the machine is acting up, can't locate the rotary cutter, the pieces are going together wrong, etc. etc.

If possible, leave it and come back to it later. Sometimes an AHA! moment occurs in the meantime and one can solve the problem.

22) Fabric buying advice: (This is mixed)

a) The odds are good that more will be manufactured and available in the near future.

b) New prints and colors will probably be available in the future.

c) The one print that you have absolutely fallen in love with will not be available next week. Buy it when you can - there are some lines that seem to have very limited runs - Alexander Henry is one of them.

d) I think I have very reluctantly come to the conclusion that buying a lot of fabrics "on sale" - and not using them - is not very economical in the long run. (Not that this will stop me from buying more fabric in the future :? )
Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Question:

Is better quality fabric less likely to bleed?

Are there certain colors that just bleed? like navy blue, black, red?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Wow, all of the ones you listed are so true. I was shaking my head on each one, been there, done that. At least we learn from mistakes what we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. But, of course, sometimes it takes me several times through the lesson to learn.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 AM

I learned to was fabrics in retayne first - that ends the bleed factor.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I learned to was fabrics in retayne first - that ends the bleed factor.
I found this article interesting:

It's mostly about hand-dying fabrics, but it does mention already dyed fabrics and garments.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/fixative.shtml

This article implies that Retayne contains formaldehyde. It also suggests that it's a good idea to use rubber gloves when using the products. It also implies that items treated with Retayne may not be as lightfast as untreated items.

I definitely found the article to be worth reading.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
All are so true. Every lesson I've learned in life I've learned the hard way. I was always to hard headed to take advice from others. I've tried to tell my DD that "I'm sharing this with you so you don't have to learn the hard life lessons I did". Does she listen...................NO!
none of them do... i got my oldest daugher a tee shirt for christmas last year that said "omg, my mother was right about EVERYTHING"

she even sent me a photo of her in it...
LOL!! I would love to get a tshirt like that for my DD - It is great!!! :)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
All are so true. Every lesson I've learned in life I've learned the hard way. I was always to hard headed to take advice from others. I've tried to tell my DD that "I'm sharing this with you so you don't have to learn the hard life lessons I did". Does she listen...................NO!
none of them do... i got my oldest daugher a tee shirt for christmas last year that said "omg, my mother was right about EVERYTHING"

she even sent me a photo of her in it...
LOL!! I would love to get a tshirt like that for my DD - It is great!!! :)
Every once in a while my DD says, "OMG, I'm turning into my Mother!" - but I think she is dismayed by that fact!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM

[quote=bearisgray

Every once in a while my DD says, "OMG, I'm turning into my Mother!" - but I think she is dismayed by that fact![/quote]

LOL!! A lot of DDs say that until they have teenagers or become our age and then they are proud to quote what they learned from Mom :lol: