Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things are just not working out..... >

Things are just not working out.....

Things are just not working out.....

Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 AM

SH, I would sew it together and a picnic quilt or make some some littler quilts for the pets or make a bird caage cover or make a table topper, even a tote. Less you would have done something. The best to you in quilting.Carol, in Texas
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 AM

I lilke the idea of putting sashing inbetween blociks, or put them together in a different arrangement where things don't match. Use blocks that match and make a smaller quilt or maybe several tabl runners. DON"T throw them away. Years from now you will cherish that FIRST quilt.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
I have been quilting a year. I am learning with each new project and can see improvements. I tried so hard to have my cutting and my seams perfect with my latest project - and am so proud that they are! I just knew that this was going to be my best quilt so far. I am making a quilt called Shadowplay. The instructions have you sew pieces together and then "trim down" to 8 1/2" blocks. I did it so carefully...taking my time....not rushing, eventhough I couldn't wait to start sewing blocks and rows together.

When you trim down those blocks to 8 1/2" squares, there is absolutely no way to have them all centered exactly the same and now, my perfectly sized, perfectly cut, perfectly sewn blocks do not match up with each other and the whole quilt is not going to go together like it should.

It is so discouraging, I haven't been in my sewing room for over two weeks. I feel like I am just not capable of improving.....

My DH said to just throw the fabric and the pattern out and start over on the next project. And I was surprised that he said that so I know he is really supportive of me, bless his heart. I just hate failure. And the fabric was so pretty and I was so excited and proud.

I don't know what I want to do at this point. Have you ever been in this spot?

Do NOT throw them away. Everything you do is a lesson to learn. There are no mistakes just creative possibilities. (That was my mantra) So, do take pics and post them for us to see, but I'm betting you need lessons on squaring up. When I first started squaring up I never used the long markings on the inside of the rulers - the ones that make you square up square - yes, those. I needed someone to show me how, then I got it. You will use these blocks, good or not, put together they will look fine for a back. Or someone will love it as a donation quilt. Don't give up. And chin up. We've all been thru big disappointments and learned from them.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

You can just make smaller blocks, all the same size. Experts do not always right instructions right. To make the quilt the size you want it ad an extra border. Never trash fabrics, you can always use them. You are better than I am if you can do so many things perfectly. I'm on my 111 quilt, always trying to make the perfect quilt, none so far.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 AM

Thank you all for all your support! I have worked all day and only have 4 rows completed but I am so happy with them now. I have ripped, trimmed, sewn (sometimes quite a few times before I am satisfied). It is so much better than it was. 6 rows remaining and then three borders - one of which is pretty detailed - but I am DONE for the day. I don't think I would have tried if it hadn't been for all the encouragement. I honestly felt like you were all in there with me! What a great group! Only other quilters would ever truly understand. Here's my WIP.....The picture does not do the fabric colors justice.
I'm so proud of you - and you will be too. It is lovely.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 AM

Slice and dice, then put back together in a new way. Don't give up! Or make table runners out of those that do match.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 AM

I have learned to use the diagonal 45* lines on the ruler to square up. If it is an 8" block, I follow the 45* line to 4" then mark with tape at the edge of the "center point" and draw a line on the tape to point out the exact center and use that for all my blocks as the center point. trim away the little bit on all 4 sides. If there are no seams to center the block and I know I have a 1/4 seam throughout then i would fold the block in half, then in half again to find the center (iron once folded and it is easy to see it.) Always always check first block.
Maybe it is possible to square the blocks down to say 7 1/2 inches, (I do not see the pattern) and use the blocks you have already to make a smaller version? or add sashing in between blocks.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Thumbs up Whoa!!!!!! Success comes with many ups and downs.

Nobody is perfect. Try to get back to it as a waste of fabric , is a shame.

I have been quilting a year. I am learning with each new project and can see improvements. I tried so hard to have my cutting and my seams perfect with my latest project - and am so proud that they are! I just knew that this was going to be my best quilt so far. I am making a quilt called Shadowplay. The instructions have you sew pieces together and then "trim down" to 8 1/2" blocks. I did it so carefully...taking my time....not rushing, eventhough I couldn't wait to start sewing blocks and rows together.

When you trim down those blocks to 8 1/2" squares, there is absolutely no way to have them all centered exactly the same and now, my perfectly sized, perfectly cut, perfectly sewn blocks do not match up with each other and the whole quilt is not going to go together like it should.

It is so discouraging, I haven't been in my sewing room for over two weeks. I feel like I am just not capable of improving.....

My DH said to just throw the fabric and the pattern out and start over on the next project. And I was surprised that he said that so I know he is really supportive of me, bless his heart. I just hate failure. And the fabric was so pretty and I was so excited and proud.

I don't know what I want to do at this point. Have you ever been in this spot?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM

You are putting your own unique style into the pattern, it's not a mistake, you meant for your squares to be slightly off. It's a design element.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM

sew it together and give it to and organization then gives thing to the homeless. thy will love it