Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things are just not working out..... >

Things are just not working out.....

Things are just not working out.....

Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
You are all such special people. Thank you so much for your support. You honestly encouraged me to the point that I went into my sewing room and reevaluated the quilt. I have 80 squares sewn into 10 rows with 8 blocks in each row.

Last night, I ripped and trimmed and sewed the first row over. It may be a little smaller, but the points do all match now. I think I can make all the rows work. We will see what happens when I try to sew the rows together. I might be back with pictures for more help. If not, I will post pictures of the quilt top when complete.
Good for you! Only 9 more rows to go.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Could be an error in the pattern or you might have accidently cut one piece off which throws everything out of balance. Fret not! Every problem like this is a "Design Challenge" and a learning experiencing. Send pix's if possible or just re-purpose your squares. At the price of fabric these days, I'd find a way to use what I so carefully did to this point.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Jan,
I learned that lesson too. I broke down and purchased just about every size square they make. When I trimmed the 8 1/2" blocks now, I take that square lay it right in the middle and make sure all the angles are correct and then trim them. I think lining up all the lines in the square before you cut is the answer. Right now make a unique border or put them together in an unique pattern of your own and NEVER tell a soul. My husband loves all the quilts I have made and doesn't realize my "creativity" has been stretched on several of them. I make every quilt a learning experience and love trying to figure out a neat way to solve a whoops on my part. No one is perfect....have a great day.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Did they do this with half square triangles? Hmmm... looks like it to me. I've seen tumbling blocks (what the center of this quilt is called, just that this one is a variation). I'll have to try a block or four. If my corners/pieces didn't match, I'd find the true center of the original blocks (make one from scrap fabrics), fold in half, press, and fold again and press...when you open it out..you will have the true center of the original block before triming, and you also have the center of all four sides. Now, open out the scrap block...with a sharpie (black or color you will be able to see through your blocks) draw a line (using a ruler) on all the fold lines. This gives you a test block for lining up your quilt blocks (you could do this on paper, drawing out a block, and penciling in seam lines...but an actual block gives a better referrence). Square up the block. Here is where you probably went off course. Let's say your test block is 9" square...that makes it 4-1/2" from center out...but you want it 8-1/2"...that's 4-1/4" from center out...find the 4-1/4" mark on your ruler...put a piece of painter's tape (or that fancy hot pink stuff) right at that 4-1/4" from the edge of the ruler mark....put the 4-1/4" line on the exact center of the quilt..matching the line you drew to the ruler line you taped off. whatever is sticking out from the edge of the ruler...trim. Repeat for all four corners. There are rulers for this...but if you don't have one...it's not that hard to do. Now your test block is ready to put to work.

Press all your blocks flat (this is where a lot of new quilter's have issues...they don't press every seam...think it's a waste of time..it's a very important step in making a quilt). Once you have them pressed...lay them one at a time onto the scrap block...Make a tiny chalk/erasable pen mark for the exact center, and all four corners. If one side of the quilt block is cut too small, line that edge up to the matching seam line in the test block. Measure in how much you have of the test block sticking out on that side. You want all the other sides of your block trimmed down so they also are 1/4" off (or whatever the amount is).
Yes, this will make the blocks smaller...but they should then fit together. Want the larger quilt size...add a bit to the largest border.

Confusing, but the fix can be done to save the quilt. We won't mention how many times I've done this, lol...happens more than I like to admit.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Ah, got it...two simple blocks...so one block is a square with two light corners & w dark corners, oposite of one another. The other made of split blocks. Still not sure why they would have you trim the blocks down...but, my idea to just trim more won't work with these blocks...It would cut off the points. Phoey.

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
I have been quilting a year. I am learning with each new project and can see improvements. I tried so hard to have my cutting and my seams perfect with my latest project - and am so proud that they are! I just knew that this was going to be my best quilt so far. I am making a quilt called Shadowplay. The instructions have you sew pieces together and then "trim down" to 8 1/2" blocks. I did it so carefully...taking my time....not rushing, eventhough I couldn't wait to start sewing blocks and rows together.

When you trim down those blocks to 8 1/2" squares, there is absolutely no way to have them all centered exactly the same and now, my perfectly sized, perfectly cut, perfectly sewn blocks do not match up with each other and the whole quilt is not going to go together like it should.

It is so discouraging, I haven't been in my sewing room for over two weeks. I feel like I am just not capable of improving.....

My DH said to just throw the fabric and the pattern out and start over on the next project. And I was surprised that he said that so I know he is really supportive of me, bless his heart. I just hate failure. And the fabric was so pretty and I was so excited and proud.

I don't know what I want to do at this point. Have you ever been in this spot?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Did you take the fabric off one side only. I did this once and my husband questioned whether I should have trimmed from all four sides. Anyway I put it together, rolled it up and put it in a sack. The colors were beautiful. I named this my "God Awful Quilt" The park association was sponsoring a family in need, desperate for blankets, out came the quilt in the bag, we tied it and donated it to the family and they thought it was the most beautiful quilt they had seen.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Been there, done that. My suggestion is to trim you block down just a little bit, maybe 8" and if the quilt it smaller than you want add a border to make up for the difference.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Thank you all for all your support! I have worked all day and only have 4 rows completed but I am so happy with them now. I have ripped, trimmed, sewn (sometimes quite a few times before I am satisfied). It is so much better than it was. 6 rows remaining and then three borders - one of which is pretty detailed - but I am DONE for the day. I don't think I would have tried if it hadn't been for all the encouragement. I honestly felt like you were all in there with me! What a great group! Only other quilters would ever truly understand. Here's my WIP.....The picture does not do the fabric colors justice.
Attached Thumbnails shadowplay-progress.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in FL; 08-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Your quilt is lovely. Congratulations for continuing on. For the next time, just remember that Wonky quilts are in. I am thinking of paying high dollar for a pattern to make a wonky quilt! {Not that all mine are not wonky } But a planned wonky. I expect it was an accident before it was a money maker.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM

It looks terrific. Glad you didn't give up on it!