Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things are just not working out..... >

Things are just not working out.....

Things are just not working out.....

Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 AM

Don't trash it, show pictures & the experienced members on this board will be able to help you resolve your problem. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Experience is only gained by doing. Some people make wonky quilts on purpose. I liked the idea of adding sashing. As long as you have tried, that is what is important. Pictures would help us to help you. See if there is anything you can salvage. I'd keep the fabric awhile to see if you later get an idea how to use it. For your next project, choose a simpler pattern. Each project you successfully complete is one more step up the ladder, and you will learn something with each one. Do not criticize yourself. At least you are making an effort.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 AM

When that happens to me I try 2 things: sashing it and/or put it away for awhile and see if it looks better after the next project. No where is it chiseled in granite that every project must be finished NOW. Some times walking away from it for a bit of time helps.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Hi Jan.....I know just where your coming from......Ive been quilting or should I say trying to quilt for almost 2 yrs now....Iam fine with panels and table toppers but when it comes to making those squares and triangles mine just dont work...Ive been watching a lot of video's and Iam learning some things here and there........so I made this WONKY quilt and it was the worst quilt Ive ever seen I think I laughed for an hour when I was almost done thank god it was just a small quilt....so what I did was made pot holders with it lol.....I wasnt going to trash it I figured well atleast I can see what I did wrong so those pot holders still make me laugh when I use them.

The moral of this story is dont give up....if it takes me 2 more years to do those dang squares oh well Iam going to get it sooner or later......so smile and just start another one....Iam going to start another one this week my problem is matching colors and then deciding which pattern to do....so I think Iam going to work on a scrappy quilt heck those you cant see mistakes lol......good luck.....Trish
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM

I'm all for throwing it out if it won't work. But first I'd HAVE to figure out what went wrong and why it won't work! I think quiltmaking is, in a way, problem solving, and that's part of what appeals to me, perhaps....though I admit I get frustrated when things don't work as they should. Maybe it's the pattern and not you.

I certainly understand your disappointment and staying away from that sewing room! But when more time passes you'll feel better and be in there again.

Let us know what you decide to do!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM

As a quilting teacher, I can tell you that there are no no new mistakes; just new threads on old ones. I am sure that I have made every mistake out there, and just to be sure, have repeated a couple on occasions. When the problem is taking over, just step away from it for a while. I have one UFO that had been sitting in a box for years. When I finally took it out, I decided to finish it, mistakes and all! Well, OK, I did fix one mistake...I had to...that row was INCHES longer than the rest! And when all else fails, you can always slice and dice it for a border or binding on something else. Bottom line, it's probably not as bad as you think.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The quilt in my imagination is always better than what I sew. Don't look at it as a failure but as a design opportunity. If your blocks don't match up you can sew it together as intended or maybe add sashing between the blocks? How about offsetting the blocks in a brick pattern? It may not look like you planned but it can still be a nice original quilt.
So true of me, too! I recently made a red and white sampler quilt. In my mind, that quilt was stunning! In reality, it looks quite ordinary. But I think I just got very tired of it before I finished and maybe that's why I'm disappointed. It may look better in a month or two!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
You are all such special people. Thank you so much for your support. You honestly encouraged me to the point that I went into my sewing room and reevaluated the quilt. I have 80 squares sewn into 10 rows with 8 blocks in each row.

Last night, I ripped and trimmed and sewed the first row over. It may be a little smaller, but the points do all match now. I think I can make all the rows work. We will see what happens when I try to sew the rows together. I might be back with pictures for more help. If not, I will post pictures of the quilt top when completed.

Thank you all so much for your support and advice.
There you go. ALthought there were a lot of fantastic posts here to encourage you not to trash it, that would have to be a sin......I am so glad you were determined to be able to finish it.
I read my patterns first and make sure they don't have your cutting down blocks. And if you have to, I would make sure the square is centered in the middle and measure out. I know points ar so hard to match.
If they are off by a pinch, I also love using a glue stick because....you just dab a little on the seams pts and attach the next piece to match seams.....Forget about the rest. When I sew iwth a glue stick, it seems to fit the fabrics right in and has the pts matched perfectly and the seams.....I taught this to several quilters.
I have a bargello that every seam matches on, using a glue stick, and the glue disappears as quickly as you put it on, once done.
Can't wait to see the results.
You'd be surprised how many of us have had to "make do" and "make it so". ....LOL. Been there done that.

Now go play and enjoy that quilt top.....No quilt police in your room. Hugs
Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I am not saying that this is what happened, but, let me tell you girl. Some of those designers of patterns are way off on the cutting sizes! There I have said it and I am not taking it back. I have learned the hard way this week to double check the sizes before cutting 84 of them wrong because the pattern "said" to.

Also, I am not saying this is your problem, but... The other thing that can go wrong is the pressing. Many people scrub on a block with steam and wonder why it is distorted and won't fit. A press is a straight down motion to press, lift, and then a straight down press.

All that being said. I think if the design is defeating your enjoyment of sewing the top, pass it on to someone who doesn't have much money or supplies, that will make you feel good and give them something to work on. A win win ending.

Bless your heart, this kind of thing sometimes happens to us all.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to cut blocks down. I've sewed for many years and still have problems with everything coming out perfectly, so this whole 'cutting down' movement is perfect for me! But if I am doing this and every block has to have a certain design feature, say a point intersection, at exactly the same place, I will put a bit of tape or some other visual clue on the ruler to be sure I cut all the pieces the same. I use Deb Tucker's rulers a lot, because not only is it a cut down procedure, but she has the lines on the ruler that need to one up with the square when you cut it down. To your current problem, like many have said, bag up the pieces and set them aside for a while so you can come back to them fresh, and not discouraged. They're not going anywhere, you don't have to feed them, so give it a rest, and move on to something else for a while. Good luck, and please don't be discouraged - this sort of thing has happened to all of us!