Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The things we do for love

The things we do for love

My sweetie decided I needed to make him another quilt (although he already has a king and a twin). He picked a pattern and the fabrics for it the last time we were at a LQS. Well, I started on it yesterday, pieced all the square in square blocks and cut the other blocks and setting triangles for the center medallion. Well, this already has got to be the most boring project I have ever worked on and only been sewing for about an hour this morning putting together the rows. I am so close to putting it away and moving on to something else. To me everything about it is boring, the pattern, the colors, blah. I'm a bright scrappy person. I don't want to disappoint him, he is so helpful and supportive of everything I do. I'm going to have to treat myself to making a couple string blocks inbetween doing the rows on this one or I will never get it done. EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM? What did you do?

Anyway here's a pic of it so far......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I would not call it boring, I like the colors. I think it is a great choice for manly colors. While working on it think about your sweethearts qualities that you so love about him. Who knows it may grow on you as you complete it.

It's going to be a lovely quilt..... maybe not as challenging as you like. Yes, I've done quilts that I had to make myself do to get them finished.

I have to bargain with myself to do those quilts. I plan a couple of hours working on 'that' quilt and then half that time to work on something 'I' want to do. ...then, repeat. It works for me..... gets 'that' quilt done and that lets my mind relax..... I bargain with myself all the time..... doing housework is one of the things that I have to schedule..... really don't like doing that.

Power Poster
    I think it will look nice - but I can see how you might find it 'boring' to work on - but the colors are definitely NOT boring!

Yes - sometimes we do things for love - probably as good a reason as any!

It looks great! Just slip in a fun project to work on when you start feeling bored. You will soon have both projects done.

Blog Entries
    I think if you put a black border on this quilt maybe 3.5 inches it would jazz it right up - dark borders are like mattes in frames for paintings - they just help the art work pop. You are almost done - get on with it so you can do something more in tune with your creative juices
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I just think it is so great that he will pick a pattern and fabric. Gotta be a keeper. Yes not the most challanging but he picked very nice colors. You are very close. Yes, throw in a different block as a reward once in awhile. You will be done before you know it.
    Lisa

You don't want to know what I did. I put it away after 15 blocks or so and have never gone back.

Just finish it up by thinking of the next one you will do.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

A contrasting sashing might make other colors pop.

Blog Entries

From Don-isewman

I know your husband, will keep it. If he decides, it's not he wanted, put me on the list, to pass it down to(ha-ha). I LIKE IT. I like the colors.

Really, really like the quilt and the colors. The colors alone would keep me going.

I made a flannel Carpenters star with a rag finish on the other side. Sure was bored with that one but its owner cuddles up in it to watch tv so it was worth it.

Yes, the things we do for the ones we love. Sometimes they're not fun but they do provide reward when finished.

I like the idea of committing 1-2 hrs every quilting session, then go to someting you love.

Some other ideas, play uplifting music or books on tape. Post a picture of DH doing something special for you. Your thankfulness will help keep up you committment of love (love isn't always warm fuzzy feelings, sometimes it's committment to the other persons desires).

If you do your own quilting, then you could be thinking of what great and creative design you're going to quilt once the top is done. I also listen to books on CD while I'm quilting. And, it looks like you're almost done. Just think how wonderful it is to have a guy WANT a quilt.

certainly doesn't look boring to me.

Nice quilt. Love the colors.

I would say to set goals on it...maybe put half the rows together, and then do something you like for a slotted time period, then go back to it again and back & forth. You'll get 2 projects worked on, one you enjoy, one for love...

Looks like you are pretty far into it. Make some nice crumb blocks or strings with bright exciting colors as leaders and enders for this project. to sort of brighten up the sewing. The colors do look nice and I'm sure once it's quilted it will look fantastic. It does seem a little on the dark side. He picked out the colors and fabrics so he knows what he's getting.

Can you choose another brighter fabric and add it in for sashing?
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I sure understand how hard it is to work on what becomes a very boring project. The big pix here is that he's so involved in what you're doing.
    My husb. always fully supported everything I did. I lost my husb. 5 yrs. ago & there is a huge hole in my life now. He used to be able to help me if I didn't have something placed right though.
    Why don't you work on it in stages. Put it down for a bit then pick it up occas. Just put your love for him into every stitch & he'll know it. That should be motivation to get through the "boring" parts.

Pat G

It's very pretty, though! Maybe taking a break between rows will, as you've indicated, save you long enough to get it finished. Hope so!

I am often really excited about starting a new quilt and then find the actual doing of it very boring. I had that experience with Warm Wishes. But I'm dogged, and just plow ahead till it's done. I may never make another Warm Wishes, though. Too bad, too, because I like the pattern and think it looks great with the right fabrics.
    Last edited by Friday1961; 05-31-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh my! I am so happy to see this quilt! It has a lot of the very same colors for the quilt i'm making for my gd who is graduating. I am adding a few brighter and lighter but looking at yours has made me feel so much better about the choices of color. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have fretted for a couple months even though i auditioned the colors. You have really made my day!yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I am jumping for joy and just scared the bujeebers out of my dogs! Hahahahahahahahahah! Lolllllllllll!

Blog Entries
    do what i do when i'm crossing a river on a high bridge, just close your eyes and step on the gas! the sooner it's done the sooner you can stop dealing with it! however, i suspect you are seeing something in it not apparent to the rest of us!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.