Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about getting a Juki straight stitch machine >

Thinking about getting a Juki straight stitch machine

Thinking about getting a Juki straight stitch machine

Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

When buying from Amazon, be sure to look at who is the seller as this can affect returns.

If the seller is Amazon ("ships from and sold by Amazon.com"), it is easy to return to Amazon within their return period (which is usually 30 days). Of course, the item must be in good condition and in original packaging. If there is something wrong with the product, return shipping is free. If you have just changed your mind, you pay the return shipping. I have returned defective items and asked for a replacement, and Amazon has always sent out the replacement immediately, before they even receive the item I am returning. I have also returned defective items for full refund. A few times I have paid the shipping to return an item about which I had changed my mind.

If the seller is someone other than Amazon ("sold by so-and-so company, fulfilled by Amazon.com), the seller is a third-party seller and different return policies apply. You can probably Google "Amazon third-party return policy" to find the page that explains those rules. In general, I think Amazon requires third-party sellers to take returns of defective items; however, for changes of mind the seller may not be required to take the return. Also, there may be shipping charges involved on the return.

I mentioned the above because you mention getting burned on a Singer from Amazon. If the seller is Amazon.com, really all you need to do is thoroughly test out the item before the 30 days is up. If there is something wrong, scroll through your "orders" until you come to it and click on the return button. Once you give a reason, you can print out the return postage.

Looking at the current Juki TL-2010Q listings, I see they are all third-party sellers. Two of the sellers are very well known and have good reps on the internet, so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them: SewVacDirect and SewingMachinesPlus. The other one is precisionsewingmachines, which I have not run across before, and if you look closely at their listings they say "ships from and sold by precisionsewingmachines". This means that you are not really dealing with Amazon at all; they are just advertising their product on Amazon. Whenever purchasing from a third-party seller, it's a good idea to click on their name in the listing to see customer reviews of the company. Don't rely solely on the percentage of the review; click through and read the reviews to see what exactly the negative comments are. Sometimes customers give poor reviews when the issue was out of the hands of the seller.

Hope this isn't too far off-topic. I got carried away........
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I have the TL2010Q and absolutely love it! It's really increased my success with FMQ. I know it sews a beautiful straight stitch as well but I use mine for FMQ.
From your post it sounds like this one would be a good fit. I got mine for 824.00 on Amazon.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:33 AM

I bought my 2010 from sew vac direct. I called and ask for their best deal. It was $899. They have show models at times so check their web site. There are other sites. Check them out, call and ask for the best deal, return policy etc. l love my Juki.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:11 AM

I bought my 2010Q from Sewing Machines Plus in California. It was a special deal for machines they had brought to one of the big quilt shows and had not sold. (I guess those machines are considered "used" but it was perfect and brand-new in the box.) I was able to take advantage of the special price and combine it with a Mother's Day discount also. I believe it was around $800 by the time all discounts were taken. They were wonderful to deal with and I actually bought another machine from them after I bought the Juki.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM

I have the TL2010Q and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If you are wanting to piece slowly at a relaxing pace, you can use the speed control to lower the range of speeds. I often turn mine down half way because when the speed is at max, it is REALLY fast. I have had mine about 2 years and am 100% pleased with it. I love it for piecing and FMQ, but am not at all fond of the walking foot that came with it. It is noisy and clunky IMO. I purchased a smaller, quieter walking foot that I like much better. Mine came with the extended table and a few feet. I paid $859 through Jet (they offered me a % discount for buying from them), but the real seller was Sewing Machines Plus. It is the best money I have ever spent. I have a top-of-the-line sewing/embroidery machine that I use for the fancier stuff, but my Juki does all the really hard work and never disappoints.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I'm another Juki2010Q owner and happy... Great machine but it doesn't like linty thread and the bobbin area and feed dogs have to be kept clean of lint or the tension acts up. Other than that, it's a wonderful, strong machine.

I have sewn on many commercial machines as a commercial seamstress, and those big motors are noisy. You have to turn the motor on first, before you can start sewing. I wouldn't want such a beast in my home. They also have to sit on a vat of oil, and "wick" the oil up as needed. It's not the best set up for in home use.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/j...ki%2520TL2010Q

I owned one briefly, which I bought from this site, and I loved it! I wish I could have kept it. I think you'd be happier buying from another source than Amazon.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Hey Innov8R, just curious about where you purchased that "smaller, quieter" walking foot that fits the Juki. You're so right, it has the clankiest, noisiest walking foot ever! I had to rig mine with a piece of shelf liner and some elastic because the noise was driving me bonkers!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 PM

I bought the 2010 last summer, it is a great machine and has a nice stitch. It has terrible lighting, so I will solve that with led lights under the throat, and I need to take it in and have them adjust the thread trimmer - currently it cuts the thread about 1" from the bobbin! I have seen a lot of people say that the walking foot is loud and clunky, they must have improved it, because mine it pretty quiet. I do wish that the machine came with feet that attach like the Bernina, I love that machine, but it was giving me fits with FMQ so I bought the Juki for that, but so far have only pieced on it.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 PM

Look at Grace Quilt Co. and they have the Juki on sale and free shipping.