Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking ahead....about borders >

Thinking ahead....about borders

Thinking ahead....about borders

Old 06-10-2015, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewgranny1 View Post
I just made a Bargello with the same (or similar pattern & colors) and I used a black fabric for the border but it had a light gray pattern in it--here's a picture so you can see what it looked like. I used burgundy for the thin border because I didn't have enough of the green that I wanted to use.

Bobbie
Bobbie, your quilt is beautiful!!! Wow! The black border looks very good. I can't wait to get mine finished enough to really play with borders, but I am currently pretty convinced that the outer border needs to be black. Thanks for the picture!!

Dina
Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 AM

Your quilts are both stunning! I've never had the desire to do a Bargello but seeing yours, I may have to reconsider! Would you share the pattern you used? Thank you!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM

The pattern I used is Illusions by Dereck Lockwood. It is not an easy pattern. I won't do another like it, though I will do more Bargellos. My first Bargello was Surf Song from a book by Eileen Wright, Twist and Turn Bargellos. Her instructions are very good and there is a placemat in this book that is designed to walk a quilter through the organization needed for a Bargello. There are ten other patterns in the book.

Anyway, I will attach a picture of mine, in case it is of interest to you. It was a good quilt for me to start with, Bargell0o-wise.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001646.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM

That's very pretty too...do these patterns give you color suggestions or you chose your own?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Really beautiful, Dina. I have to wait to decide on borders--I have to SEE it when the quilt is done--plus, oftentimes at that point, the quilt will tell me what it wants.

Hi, Hot Rod!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by tildiemae View Post
That's very pretty too...do these patterns give you color suggestions or you chose your own?
Both of these patterns give good color suggestions. The Illusion pattern actually shows you what fabric to select, but I sort of went with my own. I wanted to use fabric from my stash. Surf Song tells you to select two color families, and I think it asked for 10 or 12 shades of each color. I also did that in blue and yellow. (I always add white because I like the way it looks in a Bargello...) Let me see if I can find a picture of it. I enlarged that quilt a bit, and it sort of elongated the design, but I still like it.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001699.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Really beautiful, Dina. I have to wait to decide on borders--I have to SEE it when the quilt is done--plus, oftentimes at that point, the quilt will tell me what it wants.

Hi, Hot Rod!
Hot Rod says "hi" back!! Yes, I decide on my borders later too, but I am REALLY tired of working on this one. I want to figure out my borders!! And I know I really can't do that yet. But, ya know, the quilt just never speaks to me. I end up cutting strips of several colors and laying them on my design wall. I have to actually see it in front of my face to decide.

Maybe in a week I will be there. Cross your fingers for me.

Dina
Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 AM

All these bargellos are SUPER!! I agree with the black choice....
Old 06-11-2015, 05:28 AM

beautiful quilt, I would do small purple to efine the purple and frame in Black. awesome
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 AM

Wow, is this ever gorgeous! I think I would definitely go with a black outer border. For the narrower inner border, I would audition the blues and purples, and choose one of those.