Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of opening a craft boutque.... >

Thinking of opening a craft boutque....

Thinking of opening a craft boutque....

Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

If I do this the crafters would be able to keep there items in the building on display and set hours of when I would be open just like a store is run. Each person would have to maintain there own spot and pay a fee for that spot per month.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Google Goddess

I wish you luck and let us know if you open it up
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM

i was part of an art gallery that did this.

the owner of the building had a frame shop and then the other half of the building was all hand crafted items - there was textile arts by me, jewelry by some one else, pottery by some one else, etc.

this place was special because he would not allow duplicate items - meaning no one else sold jewelry except that person, etc.

sadly when the economy went south he couldn't keep the building any longer.

i tried to get all the artists to go in on the space together but they didn't feel it was worth it.

now i work with all the local galleries and boutiques instead of having my own space - the upside for me now is i don't have to be there and i'm glad it worked out the way it did.

my income has remained the same and i don't have to spend time in the store trying to move product the owners do that for me.

when they need more product they just give me a call and i drop more off.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

really do some research- what will your overhead be? is there enough demand- is it a high traffic location?
a few years ago a lady tried to do the same thing- this has been a nightmare for her- she has had to file bankruptcy- the building is setting empty- she still owes a huge amount on it- she started out way in the hole and never managed to get anywhere near even making her mortgage payment- and it is along a busy highway with alot of traffic...
she did have a few people rent space- but she charged so much (trying to make that mortgage payment) that not many area crafters were willing to get involved- and the ones who did didn't last long because they could not make enough to cover their costs- and her high rent- she stuck with it for a couple years- then it was empty---for over a year- while she continued to work 2 jobs trying to keep up with payments- she finally managed to rent it out to a large thrift store- they stayed for a couple years- and were busy all the time- but when a better deal came along they moved - and it is again empty and draining her---
so do alot of research- make sure it's not a money pit- and make sure the prices you will need to charge still allow people to make some money- location matters too-
this girl had a good idea- she just didn't have the business sense to carry out her vision- and pretty much did every thing wrong a new business person could do wrong-
if you have 'business sense' and some experience it could be a wonderful thing- but if you go into it without having a clue what you are really doing it can cost you alot.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM

they do this in TX alot.... they are very popular and yes, I have participated in it...There are many names.. but mostly Craft Mall...
I've thought of doing this as well, but I am not physically up to 6-7 days a week of full time work..

PPl "rent" a space from u and commit to working so many hours(I think it was 2 days per month per booth ,& u could do 4 half days in stead of all together)

Do ur homework.... good luck..
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Years ago I was visiting one about an hour from me. I don't know how it was handled but from my perspective they had rented so many tables you couldn't even move around very well.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM

There is a boutique that is held in my area twice a year. The person basically sets her house up as the sales area for two or three weekends during November, I believe. There is a set fee to participate, then she gets a commission from every sale. All participants are scheduled for a 2-4 hour shift during one of the sales periods. From what I understand, her boutique is always full, and her house is always full of customers. It's been running over ten years now, and it's one of "the" events to participate in and shop at.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Hope it works out for you. We've had a couple here in our area over the years and I loved shopping there.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary
This has been tried more than once in my area and it never worked. People wanted to spend rummage sale money on crafts.
It has been done here, too...but mostly by companies, like Coomers and Country Sampler...the one I think you are refering to is the one that closed owing a lot of crafters money...I know several people that were burned in that one.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 PM

okay if you are talking a full time shop then you will have plenty of research to do. there will be lots of costs associated with running it full time including the insurance and overhead costs. plus you will need to know if the area can support your new venture. i have an entrepreneural spirit and have started a coupla businesses myself.

get your plans together, have a back up plan ready, do your research, know what your bottom line is, find your market and work your plan. a local college can help you with you with creating your business plan. the business classes create business plans for class credit. also see if there is a small business incubator program in your area. they offer advice, access to financing, sometimes accounting service help things like that. good luck with it all. l would love to know of your progress.

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
If do this the crafters would be able to keep there items in the building on display and set hours of when I would be open just like a store is run. Each person would have to maintain there own spot and pay a fee for that spot per month.