Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of switching to poly batting >

Thinking of switching to poly batting

Thinking of switching to poly batting

Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM

I use Hobbs poly or 80/20 blend.....like both.... the poly is less money, so tend to use the poly on baby or kids quilts and the 80/20 on larger quilts I do for lap or whatever.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 AM

I love warm and natural as a personal favorite..but use poly or a 80/20 blend for all my (11) Grandkids..because they use theirs and they get more washings..it holds up fine!!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 AM
Swap Hosts

I've used poly batting, but since I switched to cotton, there's no going back. To save money, save those Michael's coupons and if you can find a shop that still has it, grab it!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 AM

Quilter's Dream products are the best! I love them!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 AM

All the quilts my grandma use to make were all made with poly batting..and the quilt I still have is 40 years old. The actual stiching is letting go in some of the seams..but other then that..it has held up excellent. Many many washings. I see no bearding either.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 AM

Quilters Dream Poly is the only polyester I will use. Their battings are great.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE ALL OF THE BATTS FROM THE DREAM COMPANY!!! THE DREAM POLY IS...A DREAM TO WORK WITH!!!
and has the same properties as warm & natural.

I'm one of those people who believe you should try them all :thumbup:
when ever you enter a shop and there is a sale on a batt you have never tried before- buy it- try it---
keep a little journal (mine i include a 6" square of the batt)
in my batting journal i include :
a swatch of the batt- the name of it- where i purchased it and for how much...noting if a sale price/coupon...
the properties of the batt (what the packages says the shrinkage rate is-how far apart you have to quilt-laundry/care instructions)
the loft/weight of the batt
fiber content
and then...how i liked it---if it needled nicely-if it was hard to hand stitch-
anything about it i feel i may want to know for next time.

often when i am getting close to finishing a top and thinking about backing- and how i want to quilt it i also thumb through my batting journal and decide what the perfect batt will be for this particular project.
poly batts are great for kids quilts--beach/picnic quilts--quilts that will go through alot of use/washes.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
There is nothing wrong with a GOOD quaslity poly batting. I used THERMORE (until they changed the 'recipe for making it) for many many years.

My 6'5" Grandson, his 6'2" brother and cousins (all guys0 HATE 80/20! Too heavy, can't scrunch it up 'good'. My grandd aughter also tends to like polys better. They are my test panel :-D . even used wool -- another no no no.

In fact, allof my family seems to prefer a think warm poly. I would think you should try it. MAke a tv watching lap quilt and see how you like the feel etc.
Let us know about how yo do.
Julie
Could you tell us why wool is a triple no for you? I recently splurged on a package of king sized wool batting and don't want to waste it or ruin a quilt. I would appreciate any info from anyone on their experience with wool. I have only heard good things.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 AM

On the last baby quilt I used a poly called Soft and Bright made by Warm and Natural. I got it from Joanne's and when I was in there the last time and looked for it I couldn't find it. I had forgotten the name but would have known what the pkg. looked like. Tried to ask the clerk and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Next time I go will take the wrapper with me. It was fine to machine quilt, but don't know how it holds up. Don't remember seeing any bearding. It advertises that it has no resins or glues, no pre-wash-no shrinkage, quilt up to 10" apart. It is needle punched.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 AM

The gal at wallmart who cuts the fabric gave me a tip that the tater bag batting is cheaper then warm and natural and is the same quilty as warm and natural. It is not as wide but she edge butts the batting and zig zags it together for the size of the quilt.