Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of switching to poly batting >

Thinking of switching to poly batting

Thinking of switching to poly batting

Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 AM

Think of how you're going to baste your quilt. I usually spray baste and have always used cotton but tried poly on a small quilt. I discovered that the spray didn't stick to 100% poly batting. The quilt sandwich looked fine when I sprayed it but, as the quilting progressed, the spray disappeared and I ended up pinning the rest. I have used Joann's Warm & Natural(?) 80/20 blend without problems, the 80% cotton keeps the spray active. I mentioned this to my LQS instructor and she also said that spray basting doesn't work well with poly. Now, if you use a long-arm you won't have this problem and I like the poly because the extra loft will better define your quilting design.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Thermore is very thin poly batting if you like the flat look of cotton. it comes in a gray bag.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 AM

I have used the Fairfield poly quilt batting I get at Walmart for the last 27 years. I hand quilt and have not had any bearding problems with the batting either. All the quilts I have made have been washed and dried in the dryer many times. The batting has held up great. With 7 grands they really put them through their paces.

Originally Posted by Janette
Think of how you're going to baste your quilt. I usually spray baste and have always used cotton but tried poly on a small quilt. I discovered that the spray didn't stick to 100% poly batting. The quilt sandwich looked fine when I sprayed it but, as the quilting progressed, the spray disappeared and I ended up pinning the rest. I have used Joann's Warm & Natural(?) 80/20 blend without problems, the 80% cotton keeps the spray active. I mentioned this to my LQS instructor and she also said that spray basting doesn't work well with poly. Now, if you use a long-arm you won't have this problem and I like the poly because the extra loft will better define your quilting design.
Good point...I do love my basting spray. It just kills me to pay 2-3x as much for the cotton batting.
Power Poster

Thanks Jomama!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I really like Hobbs Polydown. I first used it when quilting some of our Community Quilts for our guild. The batting was much more affordable, handled well, was very uniform, no thick or thin spots and quilted easily. It stands up to repeated washings and doesn't shift or bunch even when quilted every 6-8inches. I buy it by the roll (108" wide) and 30 yards long. This is the batting I now use in all my baby and kid quilts even for the big kids taking quilts to college. If you like a soft cuddly slightly puffy quilt, this is the batting for you.
Last summer I attended a trunk show that Lynette Jensen (from Thimbleberries) put on. One of the questions was what kind of batting did she use. Her answer was Hobbs polly down.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825
I asked about samples for Quilters Dream and they wouldn't send me any. :( Still waiting for a reply from Hobbs.
I am shocked! They were handing out little sample cards at the MQX show like crazy last month! I'm sorry, I just assumed if you contacted them they would simply send you one of the little cards that had samples of all their bats. It is only a 3" swatch. Maybe they only give the samples cards to retail stores or at shows?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 AM

I like Hobbs batting, too. I've been using it for the last few quilts I've made and I've found it to me consistent. No thin or thick places like some of the others. I've used it for hand quilting and machine quilting. It's reasonable, too. I just can't afford the cotton blends or the bamboo that so many are using now.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by JulieTN
There is nothing wrong with a GOOD quaslity poly batting. I used THERMORE (until they changed the 'recipe for making it) for many many years.

My 6'5" Grandson, his 6'2" brother and cousins (all guys0 HATE 80/20! Too heavy, can't scrunch it up 'good'. My grandd aughter also tends to like polys better. They are my test panel :-D . even used wool -- another no no no.

In fact, allof my family seems to prefer a think warm poly. I would think you should try it. MAke a tv watching lap quilt and see how you like the feel etc.
Let us know about how yo do.
Julie
Could you tell us why wool is a triple no for you? I recently splurged on a package of king sized wool batting and don't want to waste it or ruin a quilt. I would appreciate any info from anyone on their experience with wool. I have only heard good things.
I used wool on a king-sized quilt that I did both machine quilting and FMQ on, and I loved it to work with, and I love using it on the bed. Some people might be allergic to it, I suppose. It is pretty pricey, however.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I use Quilter's Dream exclusively - I prefer the blend, especially if it's for a bed quilt but I use the Poly Select for wall hangings and bags - it FMQs lovely with no bearding in my experience. I wouldn't like to use pure poly on a bed quilt though, especially not for a baby - doesn't breathe like the cotton.