Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of switching to poly batting >

Thinking of switching to poly batting

Thinking of switching to poly batting

Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by nlpakk
On the last baby quilt I used a poly called Soft and Bright made by Warm and Natural. I got it from Joanne's and when I was in there the last time and looked for it I couldn't find it. I had forgotten the name but would have known what the pkg. looked like. Tried to ask the clerk and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Next time I go will take the wrapper with me. It was fine to machine quilt, but don't know how it holds up. Don't remember seeing any bearding. It advertises that it has no resins or glues, no pre-wash-no shrinkage, quilt up to 10" apart. It is needle punched.
I have bought Soft and Bright from Joannes online. It is not available in my store. It is really really nice. I bought it during the Thanksgiving sale. I would buy a whole roll but they do not sell it that way. It is a poly that behaves like a cotton. Loved it. I bought 4 queen sized and should have gotten more.

I just tried Hobbs Polydown and did like it quite well. I usually use Warm and Natural. I am quite prolific and make lots of charity quilts.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 PM

I've been using "Soft & Bright" needled poly from the maker's of "Warm & Natural". It's very uniform in thickness, doesn't stretch, not heavy & washes nicely too. I bought it at JoAnn's from a roll and also in Pkg. Reasonably priced for an amateur like myself.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM

I used bamboo batting in a king sized quilt and I loved it. It is so soft. I tried to find it at my local Joanne's and they did not have it. I will try again at a larger Joanne's a little further from me.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Love polydown and bamboo
Brenda
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
With the cotton prices on the rise, I am starting to wonder if I should consider trying a good quality poly batting to try to save money. Before I discovered Warm & Natural, I had tried a couple of the poly battings...Joann's, Mountain Mist, and not been very happy with them. I noticed that the LQS uses Quilters Dream Poly unless requested otherwise. It felt nice, but I don't know anyone personally who's used it.

Any recommendations? Any thoughts as to where I could get small samples to check out?
Don't be surprised if you find the price of poly batting also takes a steep price leap. As poly is petroleum based, I believe
Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM

I picked up one the other day at Wal Mart by POLY-FIL it is a Traditional Needlepunched Polyester. I'm not sure what that means exactly but I do know the battting is kinda like a loose felt. Don't know if that will help but it like it better than the stuff I got at Joann's.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will see if I can get samples of the Quilters Dream Poly and Hobbs Polydown.

Any tips to prevent bearding, or is it just a given with poly? Would different needles make a difference in the outcome?
I love anything Quilters Dream,lol, love their cotton, their poly and their wool, and use them all depending on the project. I had no problem with Dream Poly bearding at all, and I have used the black, regular white and green, quilts beautifully too. PM your address and I can send you some leftover I have that you can maybe make little sandwiches and try them out.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM

I only use poly. I get it on a 70 yard roll from Wilson Sales in Boaz, Alabama. The last time I bought 2 rolls and it was $72.00 per roll. That is cheap. I have never had a problem with it and none of my customers have ever complained about it.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM

I only ever use poly batting as it is so much easier to manage for me!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM

I like Fairfields Traditional Poly batting as well and buy it by the roll. It handles very well and my customers like it too.