Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinnest wool batting available >

Thinnest wool batting available

Thinnest wool batting available

Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Thinnest wool batting available

Hi! I'm a new member.
I'm making a Boreal Shirt. essentially the best hoodie even known in the universe.
Between two felted wool fabric "shells" I'd like to put the thinnest possible wool batting.
Just for the body. Not the arms, etc.

Anybody know the LIGHTEST/THINEST wool batting available? It'd be great if I could find like 1/8" or 3/16"

Most batting I've found will make the garment too bulky.

Money's not so much a problem. This is a hoodie that will last my lifetime.

Thanks so much in advance.

Tedinski
Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Silk batting is usually used for clothing. It is very light in weight, thin, breathes like wool.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

This is what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Silk batting is usually used for clothing. It is very light in weight, thin, breathes like wool.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:17 PM

I, too, was going to recommend silk batting. It is so drapey that it would be absolutely perfect for clothing. And if this is a garment that you intent to last you a lifetime, the silk will certainly fill that bill!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I have not seen wool batting less than 1/4-1/3" loft.

Now...I am assuming you are not going to actually quilt through all three layers, because that would just create a line of stitching where the cold would get in. You do not want any seams or stitching to break your insulation bubble. I am also assuming the double shell doesn't include the hood or sleeves; that would seem too bulky with two layers of felted wool. The batting is just a lining? Then use silk. It doesn't rate that high on warmth, but it will help wick away moisture. And are you adding the neck shield under the front placket, and the tie at the bottom, and the hand warmer pocket. Did you think of an inside waist tie to keep the wind from coming up under?

Heck, by the time I got done with my whole plan, might just as well spring for the one from Lester Park Bushcraft, which is technically in Lakeside.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 AM

Just wanted to say Welcome to the board!
Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Krisb!
I have the Lester River Bushcraft Boreal shirt. I love it! I want one that is essentially the same, but warmer through the body. Like you say, I won't be putting batting in the sleeves or hood.
I contacted LRB, asking, if I sent the fabric, would they make me a thicker one. No reply.
There's a similar hoodie pattern that I've bought to use. It has options for if you wish to use insulation. They recommend thinsulate, but I want to use 100% natural fibers.

Silk might just do the trick. Maybe I'll buy some and see how warm it is. I wish this stuff came with R-Ratings so I could compare materials and thicknesses!

Tedinski
Old 02-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Just wanted to say Welcome to the board!

Thanks so much!
I've already bought a bunch of wool batting, that is too thick for my project. (thus my questions). I think I may make a quilt out of it for wintertime use. Probably nothing pretty, with my skills! lol.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Here's the pattern I'll use. Or perhaps I'll just copy the shirt that I have.

http://www.thegreenpepper.com/produc...lover-pattern/
Old 02-03-2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tedinski View Post

Thanks so much!
I've already bought a bunch of wool batting, that is too thick for my project. (thus my questions). I think I may make a quilt out of it for wintertime use. Probably nothing pretty, with my skills! lol.
Try peeling your wool batting apart. When you have finished, the batting would be half the thickness. I saw a teacher on Craftsy do this and was surprised at how well it worked.