Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those dang Prairie Points >

Those dang Prairie Points

Those dang Prairie Points

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
One thing on my LIST of to dos is Prairie Points. So fetching, so flirtatious. There's a new tut on an existing website allpeoplequilt which details how to make an outer border of Prairie Points, but they are all facing toward the center of the quilt...

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...-points_8.html

So, fellow QB members, what's the deal? Wherefore dost thine Prairie Points point? Innies or Outies? Help me on this...

I saw them for the first time on a tut. of Fons & Porter for a Christmas quilt. It was deep cranberry colored and added a very rich look to the finshed quilt.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 AM

OK, here is my thought on making continuous prairie points in different colors. Why couldn't you just chain stitch a bunch of squares of equal size together. Sew two strips of them in the correct off set to one another, fold, and finish as usual. You could even chain stitch them together off set to begin with. Seems possible and a lot faster than making each one individually and arranging. I may have to give this a try! Great way to get rid of some of the smaller scraps in the stash. Ann in TN
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
OK, here is my thought on making continuous prairie points in different colors. Why couldn't you just chain stitch a bunch of squares of equal size together. Sew two strips of them in the correct off set to one another, fold, and finish as usual. You could even chain stitch them together off set to begin with. Seems possible and a lot faster than making each one individually and arranging. I may have to give this a try! Great way to get rid of some of the smaller scraps in the stash. Ann in TN
Great suggestion! I'm 'stashing' it in my 'future projects' file....
Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM

True prairie points I thought faced out and were separate points but they weren't generally on quilts that were used because they scratched your neck. They were more on top quilts, purely decorative.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM

When I put Prairie Points on I cut the blocks 3 1/2 inch square fold it point to point twice and pin it to the front of the quilt and then stitch it down , then turn the points to the outside and fold the backing over the stitching line and hand stitch the backing over it .
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
When I put Prairie Points on I cut the blocks 3 1/2 inch square fold it point to point twice and pin it to the front of the quilt and then stitch it down , then turn the points to the outside and fold the backing over the stitching line and hand stitch the backing over it .
Great idea, thanks for explaining it.