Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=willferg;4765507]I was having trouble sewing a difficult spot once and made the mistake of asking my husband. He said, "Don't you have to sew faster to make it work?" QUOTE]

He thought you needed a running start LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    I bought one of those cheap Wal-Mart quilts at a yard sale for $5.00 it had been washed twice and was falling apart.
    I hung it in my shop to show people who think my prices are to high. They can quickly see the difference when side by side with one of my quilts.
    I have one of those "hand-quilted" $39.99 quilts I'll send you too. Those quilts are everywhere here. Not the Walmart quilts, but the ones sold at flea-markets and tourist-shops. I once asked the owner of one of them how they can sell them so cheap. He told me that a woman owns a town and let's people live in the town "for free". There is a fabric factory (he didn't tell me how the tops were made, but I imagine a sewing factory) and they get a oxen-pulled cart full of quilt tops. They have these needles that are 9-inches long and load them up and knock a cart full of quilts out in a week. That's how they pay their rent.
    Then tourists come to the Smoky mountains and see these cheap, crappy quilts and think that's how "homemade" quilts are supposed to be! And they buy a $40 hand-crafted souvenir to take back home and then they and their friends think that hand crafts shouldn't be more than $40!

three years ago when our office was closed by the company i was lucky to find that two of my co-workers also quilt. we started getting together and invited some others who were at loose ends now that they were "retired". some did not want to quilt but the best response was, "that's for old people". hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, didn't feel THAT old, and she was only a couple of years younger than me.

and, i do watch tv, i just do it while i am quilting. or stitching.
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

hahahhaa...hi splinter!!
    thought someone stole your topic now I see it's you!!!!
    great to see your here to, as well as on the dutch quiltingforum!
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I don't know any sayings but these are really funny!
    Bonnie

My favorite comment was made by a woman after I told her I did machine piecing and quilting ... she said she did "real" quilting because she hand quilted. My response was a smile and a friendly "that's nice." My family and friends love my unreal machine piecing and quilting!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay View Post
    My favorite comment was made by a woman after I told her I did machine piecing and quilting ... she said she did "real" quilting because she hand quilted. My response was a smile and a friendly "that's nice." My family and friends love my unreal machine piecing and quilting!
    I guess, after 30 years of hearing these sorts of (literal meaning of the word...) ignorant things said about "real" quilting versus (what?? IMAGINARY?!) ____ quilting, I no longer am particularly "nice" about my comeback. I look directly at the transgressor and ask if they hand piece....yes?, then do thay use all cotton fabrics?....yes?, then do they card their own batts? They look at me funny and I say, "Does your tomato taste better because you dig your row with a stick than mine done with a tiller?" And walk away.

I am so done with this thing of women putting other's skills/work/craft down, ya know?
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Question:"Why would you make it yourself when you can buy one at Wal Mart?"
    Answer: "Why would an artist paint their own creative ideas when they can buy pictures at Wal Mart?"

Blog Entries
    I once had an art teacher [now pretty famous] who told us when someone said something like that to us. It is as good as I can do at the time. and it is. Everything is easy if you know how, right? Barny

Ms. Jan in VA You said it Best-----I will try to remember this one.

Lana
    the Quilting Dreamer
    Lansing, MI

Quote Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
    How about the people who say they can buy a quilt like you are making for much cheaper at Wal-Mart.
    Those are the same people that I like to look in the eye and say, "Yes, I'm sure that's possible. You can also buy cheap framed prints to hang on your walls at Walmart but luckily there are still some people recognize and prefer the quality of oil paintings."
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

I have been quilting for a long time, and the one that always gets me is ...." you don't look like the type!" .... when I inquire what "type" the response is always along the line .... "Well... that something my grand mother did ".

I have been very fortunate about the comments I have received on my quilts. I spend more time teaching/telling people about the process and sharing with some of my friends and collegeues who have not been blessed to spend their life surrounded by quilts as I have. Of course, I have never tried to sell one and am a bit picky about who I chose to gift one.
    Vicki W

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mummadee View Post
    This makes your gift list so much easier. It separates the wheat from the chaf and shortens the list of people you have to quilt for. Makes life easier, don't you think?
    excellent point and one i had not thought to appreciate!
    Last edited by deemail; 12-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I had someone email me about making a quilt. First thing I asked was "what do you have in mind?" She didn't know what she wanted. "just a regular quilt for a twin-sized bed. Quilts are too expensive". I said, "you'd need at least $80 worth of fabrics plus the batting is around $15 and up. Just depends on what you want. I don't charge much for my work but that gives you an idea on why they are so expensive."

Here's the funny part: no reply at all. Not a "wow, thank you anyway", or a "Oh I don't mind paying you a decent rate for your time and talent" or anything. Does *no reply* count as a funny remark?!
    well, yes, but 'funny-strange,' not 'funny-haha.' Email has brought us closer to no manners at all...after all, you don't have to be considerate to someone you will never meet, never see and who may be a half a world away. The good thing is, that when some is polite, via email...I am so delighted and never let it go unnoticed. At least, as quilters, we all understand the value of our time, our creativity, and our hard work, and therefore, others,' as well.

I am always asked (by my hubby) "who's that one for?". I tried to explain, the quilts just need to get made! Sometimes I make them for that reason alone!
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

Blog Entries
    Just yesterday a girl at work asked me if I had a blue quilt that I could applique a 'B' on real quick to give as a baby gift. I told her I didn't have one ready. She was surprised and actually thought I had these quick quilts stockpiled. She was upset and disappointed that I couldn't accomodate her. Oh well!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Rock on, Jan in VA!!!

Blog Entries
    My sister whom I dont associate with any more always put me down she would say why quilt you can but a blanket cheeper. why make bread there are many bakeries that sell specialty bread, why make jewelry you can buy it cheeper on sale, or why crochet no one crochets anymore the one I like the best is is the way your hands hurt and all your body aches you shouldnt be doing all that She just does not get it that doing these things is what keeps me going and active

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I have one of those "hand-quilted" $39.99 quilts I'll send you too. Those quilts are everywhere here. Not the Walmart quilts, but the ones sold at flea-markets and tourist-shops. I once asked the owner of one of them how they can sell them so cheap. He told me that a woman owns a town and let's people live in the town "for free". There is a fabric factory (he didn't tell me how the tops were made, but I imagine a sewing factory) and they get a oxen-pulled cart full of quilt tops. They have these needles that are 9-inches long and load them up and knock a cart full of quilts out in a week. That's how they pay their rent.
    Then tourists come to the Smoky mountains and see these cheap, crappy quilts and think that's how "homemade" quilts are supposed to be! And they buy a $40 hand-crafted souvenir to take back home and then they and their friends think that hand crafts shouldn't be more than $40!
    There is a town that is driving distance from me and I was so excited to see they had a shop that sold quilts. So my mom and I went in. This lady had a house that was packed(and I mean packed where you could hardly walk through the place) full of quilts. She was selling them as handmade in the USA. There were some with the made in China labels still on them and she was selling them for $350 and up. I just chuckled and left.

I always love getting the comment that I must have alot of free time to make everything I do. I always want to tell them that I work full time, have three kids that I take care of and still manage to get it done. It's all about how you spent your time. It would take me almost a year to sit and watch 10 hours of tv.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    I bought one of those cheap Wal-Mart quilts at a yard sale for $5.00 it had been washed twice and was falling apart.
    I hung it in my shop to show people who think my prices are to high. They can quickly see the difference when side by side with one of my quilts.
    That is a great idea to do!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

How about the lady today (dec NINTH), who called me on the phone. She got my name from a friend of hers as someone who makes t-shirt quilts. She was AMAZED that I could not get one done before Christmas. (as in, I have a LIFE, a quilt ON the frame, a quilt yet to be pieced and quilted and bound, and yes,we are traveling on the 21st!) She still wanted to know if I knew someone who could make this quilt for her. NO CLUE. And this 2 days after a 'friend' I have not heard from in a YEAR, called up and wanted to know could I do her a favor. (I, waiting for the shoe to drop). She wanted to know if I had time before Christmas, could she come over and USE my frame. Oh, and sorry I am not asking you to quilt it. It would not be mine. (she has never quilted on a frame..so guess who would have had to do most of it anyway? And no consideration that it might take some PRACTICE to get good on it!) Sorry to vent! I'm still shaking my head! (and no, I would not let her drive my car if she didn't have a license either!! lolol)

(oh, I told her, sweetly, that IF I got done with my quilts before I left, I would be SURE to call her. ((NOT)) !)
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Not so much quilting since I am so new at it...but sewing bags/purses/clothing. People who sew know that fabric is not cheap anymore...remembering back when we made our kids clothes and our own because it was cheaper. But people who don't sew will usually say to me...I know I could save money if I just knew how to sew stuff like you do. Uhhhhhhh........the quilted purse that cost me what...over $60. just for the fabric. Cheap????

Not sewing/quilting related but my other in home business...pouring scented candles/soaps/body products. When doing craft shows you "strain" to hear what people are whispering and you hear stuff like...oh you can buy candles cheap at the $ store or Walmart etc. Uhhhhhh........mine are handpoured and tested for quality and safety. My wicks are straight and in the MIDDLE of the candles...not off to the side or over almost against the edge of the glass container. They are scented the whole way through...not just a layer of scented wax poured over the top. No Made in China labels on MY stuff. You have to have thick skin to sell your products...but you do have to laugh though at a lot of stuff you hear people say.

As I was proudly telling my family about my new hobby quilting, my father said, "I hate quilts".

Well, I don't have to worry about making him a quilt. It really hurt my feelings.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    As I was proudly telling my family about my new hobby quilting, my father said, "I hate quilts".

Well, I don't have to worry about making him a quilt. It really hurt my feelings.
    My daddy said the same thing when I started quilting. Turns out he slept under a mountain of quilts as a boy in a house with no heat and still slept cold. I never made him a quilt. I did make him a sweater that he wore until it was ragged threads.
    Few comments are made thoughtfully. I swear most people (and I'm guilty at times) think out loud without realizing how it sounds. We enjoy our craft, just as others enjoy whatever they do that we don't understand. I ride a motorcycle (to remote quilt shops!). My favorite comment is, "You rode that here?" To prevent myself from making a rude smart-elicky remark, (like, no, it followed me) I try to remember that they just want to talk and don't know what to say. And yes, there are the jealous and mean-spirited. They need our prayers and mercy. (but not our quilts!)
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast