Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those Twin needles? What to do... >

Those Twin needles? What to do...

Those Twin needles? What to do...

Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Here's a chart from Tauton (Threads magazine) about twin needles and machine settings, uses, etc.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pdf/TwinNeedleChart.pdf

and also some info on bobbins that I happened to find at the same time (has nothing to do with twin needles)--

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-about-bobbins
Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
How many of you out there have one of those "Twin Needles" for your machine? My new machine has one, which I have not yet tried to use. I'm tempted to experiement, but also I'd like to hear from Others, how you use your Twin Needle. Show us some photos. Is it only decorative? Or are there practical purposes? Do Tell!
I used mine for the 1st time last night. Besure & read the instructions about how to use it. Make sure you don't pull it or the design will be stretched out. Practice on a scrap first. It was fun. I am decorating a jacket with it.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Twin needles are great for decorative stitching. Just be sure to use a foot with a zig/zag opening. Thread with two different colors and play. Great on anything: pillow cases, purses, bookmarks, journal covers, all kinds of stuff. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM

thanks!! my twin needles have sat in the pkg for a couple of years, unused. now i will try them as instructed to make a parallel line along the seam; only threading one and useing the other to follow the seam. sounds do-able.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Sewing on both edges of bias binding for stems handles etc. Diane C.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 PM

A twin needle leaves an ugly zig-zag type stitch on the back. I wouldn't quilt with it.

Depending on the 'size' of your twin needle (that is to say the distance between the two needles) such as 1.6, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, you can get different effects.

If you have a machine with 'fancy stitches' you can put a different color thread in each needle and get some really pretty effects.

CAUTION!!! You have to reduce the width of the stitch by the width of the needle or you will break the needle and possibly damage the throat plate!!! For example, if your decorative stitch can go as wide as let's say 6.0, and you want to use a needle that is a 2.0 (i.e. bottom of package will read 80/2.0 or something similar) you can use a decorative stitch with a maximum width of 4.0. (That's 6.0 minus 2.0 which equals 4.0.)

I even did a decorative stitch with a different color thread in each needle using just a straight stitch and a zig zag. (15 straight stitches followed by 5 zig zags, followed by 15 straight stiches, followed by 5 zig zags ... you get the idea.)

If I can ever figure out where the @#!# I put my camera, I will post some pictures of decorative twin needle stitching. You can really have a lot of fun!

Peggy
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

I used mine to hem Natalie pajama bottoms,,,looks neater
Old 01-19-2011, 01:40 PM

I have used it with plain & decorative stitches - even to quilt with! Love it! Just make sure you read the machine manual for threading!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM

There's some great ideas here for twin needle usage. I have 3 sets, all of different widths and I've used them for hemming, especially stretch fabric, and for top stitching and pin tucks. I just wind some thread onto a spare bobbin and thread that through from the top of my machine, rather than buy 2 reels of thread.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Be sure to use the right presser foot. :)