Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those Who Name Your Quilts >

Those Who Name Your Quilts

Those Who Name Your Quilts

Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 AM

I name them when they are my unique design, and they have a theme that conjures up the name.Only when done.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 AM

I name them only to keep them straight in my head and on a spreadsheet. Some are named from where I got them, some are named from the fabric line or designer or pattern or color, but every now and then one just gets a real name. I'm playing around with new techniques and a new quilt was christened last night "Whimsy."
Old 03-26-2019, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I pretty much name all my quilts and I will even nickname quilts I have longarmed for others just so I have a way of referencing it, like "Creme Brulee". Sometimes the quilts owner keeps the nickname I have given it.

Usually the name comes to me at some point during the making of the quilt. I don't think I have ever come up with a name before the quilt was even started unless I had a good solid game plan going in.

Not all my names are unique. Sometimes I just name the quilt what the pattern is, like "Lonestar" or "Squares on point" or use whatever name the pattern designer assigned to it or a variation of it. When I made the Judy Niemeyer pattern Agave Garden I named it "An Agave Garden for Gus and Maria's Family". Agave Garden is the pattern name and it was commissioned to be gifted to Gus and Maria. I did make the label in Spanish because the recipients are from Mexico. My brother reported back that they really liked that touch.

Sometimes the name is quite literal like "Batik Block Swap" or "triangle quilt" but usually I try to come up with something a little more creative. Naming the quilt is almost always influenced by the fabrics, pattern or quilting motif or a combination of all of them. Like "East meets Midwest" pictured here along with an explanation as to why I named it that. "East Meets Midwest" an Asian scrappy quilt
Or this one for the quilting motifs I used in addition to the clamshell block setting:
Scrappy log cabin clam shell setting

I have also used names twice if I make the same pattern (the second one would be II) Like this quilt, I am currently working on a second one and I am naming it Karyukai II. Showcase of Asian Fabrics made and quilted by feline fanatic

Like you Boston, I make an effort to label every quilt I make, even if it is utilitarian. At the very least I put the quilt's name, made by my name along with my town and the year of completion. It personalizes the quilt if it is a gift and quite honestly all the quilts I make, even if it is a super simple pattern or design is an expression of my "art" and artists should always sign their work. But even some artists don't title all their paintings, even famous ones. There are loads of paintings out there that are "untitled". And even though the maker may not consider it "heirloom" or anything fancy that is worth labeling, think how many antique utilitarian quilts are out there that are highly prized and coveted, if for no other reason than the quilt survived for as long as it did and darn few of them are labeled with even just maker name and date. Think about how excited we get when we stumble upon an antique quilt that is actually signed and dated via a label of some sort.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-26-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 AM

I love to name things, and quilts are no exception. Generally, the name comes to me while I’m making the top. Once in a while a clever phrase, meaningful scripture, or particular motif drops into my mind and inspires me to make a quilt accordingly.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 AM

I only named one - it was my last one. I called it "bleary eyed, hunch back".

I frequently call my quilts names, especially when they are not cooperating, but we are not supposed to use those types of names in polite company.

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I love to name things, and quilts are no exception. Generally, the name comes to me while I’m making the top. Once in a while a clever phrase, meaningful scripture, or particular motif drops into my mind and inspires me to make a quilt accordingly.
Same here.

I think naming quilts depends on the number that you make during a year. Since I only produce a few each year, I enjoy giving each quilt a name.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:01 AM

I don't name my quilts & don't name my sewing machines/cars, etc.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 AM

I only name ones that speak to me too. Otherwise I just use the pattern name as their name.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 AM

I have a working name for every quilt, and that's often the pattern name or the name of the fabric or color that identifies the quilt in my mind. When I've done quilts that have a main color, I've used the color name, as in, 'The Aubergine Quilt.' I usually don't start thinking of a formal name until I see the finished top.