Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects. >

Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects.

Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM

I have 3 quilts my great grandmother made in the 50's and 60's that are poly blends and they have been in constant use for 50+ years and have been in every imaginable location, including out in the rain and the only thing that has needed repair is the hand quilting where she used cotton thread that had rotted from being wet too long, too often.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 AM

I did some quilting on a quilt that used both 100% cotton and all polyester fabrics for a friend. It was very difficult because they did not lay flat the same way. The lesson I learned is not to mix them together. I seldom use polyester or polyester blends now.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

Polyester will outlast cotton everyday of the week. I have no problems using it, I just would not mix it with cotton.
It sews very easily. Some quilters only like cotton. Use what you want, your quilt, your way.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:12 AM

I am a child of the depression and my theory is...use what you have. Put like fabrics with like fabrics and quilt away. Several of my family have quilts made of the old thick polyester and they would fight you for them, also denim, poly blends, plisse, flannels, etc. can all be used in quilts.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 AM

I think is is really a personal decision. I have only quilted for a few years, but have sewn garments for over 50. I found out early on that the poly or poly with cotton was the way to go with clothes because of the wrinkle problem. I normally find that the poly or blends give me more control of the fabric when it comes to pressing. I just pick out what color or print I like and do not worry about the fabric content.

I guess I am not a purist when it comes to quilting, but I have always been happy with the fabrics of my creations. I have more of a problem keeping a 1/4 inch seam and not cutting off my points! Technique is my problem, not the fabrics I use.

This board has been a great help to me in trying to master this new hobby.

Phyllis
Old 04-22-2015, 05:19 AM

It wears different - as quilttiger said, I think they're just fine to use but I wouldn't mix them either (unless maybe in a wall hanging) because eventually the cotton parts will start to weaken but the poly parts won't, and that will make your aging cotton rip easier. Plus the cotton will fade but the poly won't.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I do make special quilts with 100% quilters cotton and the best thread I can afford. BUT as a keen repurposer/recycler, there is not a fabric I won't put in a utility/fun/car/couch quilt. All good clothing goes to charity, but if it's not nice/good enough for donating I cut all the usable pieces and make quilts. Funnily enough, they often turn out better than my 'proper' quilts....I have a lot of fun messing around and practicing new techniques....guilt and pressure free so to speak. I have even used my (now retired) husband's work clothes, high visibility yellow adds a funky touch. I am highly critical of my quilts, but somehow, my waggas (Aussie quilts) and utility quilts seem a bit more special to me....
Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I still prefer to have a top made of only one type of fabric - mainly for the reasons of - will it wear out at about the same rate - and - how to care for it (washability).

For some odd reason, it does not bother me to have a different type of backing from the top - as long as both sides are washable.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Totally agree with ckcowl. Poly quilts last forever. My mother made them in the late 60's, early 70's and they still look new. Her grandchildren and greatchildren drag them, camp with them, love them now and will for years to come. I just don't enjoy piecing with poly. I have machine quilted a few for customers and had no problem.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 AM

Your quilt, your rules. Our ancestors, mainly, used what was available.