Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects. >

Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects.

Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM

I've used tons of poly cotton...sure you can use it. But there is a difference between it and cotton.

Some of the poly cotton I've used doesn't iron well. Other irons just fine.

Poly double knit is VERY, very hard to FMQ on a domestic machine. Yikes...I was given some quilt tops to finish that were double knit. I will gently refuse any more. They don't move easily and weigh a ton.

(And I hate touching the stuff!)

However...poly cotton I will use and probably will continur to use. Not all poly cotton pills, but some does.

Given for all the negatives about the double knit--it will last forever, so to speak. All have been quickly chosen (as charity quilts here in Poland - I give recipients a choice from at leat 10 quilts--sometimes as many as 50 to choose from).
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM

Any kind of fabric can be used for quilts. Some of the most beautiful antique quilts include velvets and silks. Probably the biggest thing to beware of is shrinkage, especially in a dryer. Wool will shrink a lot and maybe several times. Cotton can shrink up to about 20%. Poly/cotton will shrink very little if at all. If you are mixing fabrics be sure all have shrunk as much as they are going to. You wouldn't want to make a beautiful quilt and have it shrink unevenly, even if you like the crinkle look. I made a lot of clothes out of poly/cotton blends and they wore beautifully. Many of the scraps were used in quilts and they also wore beautifully. They advantage to using old clothes is that they have been washed several times so you don't have to worry about shrinkage. Quilt for the joy of quilting and use what you like and can afford. Don't let anyone dictate what fabric to use.

I also had a poly double knit quilt that my Mom made for me in the 70s. My daughter has it now. It still gets plenty of use. I expect the sheet she used for backing will wear out before the double knit top does!

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 04-22-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Suz

Polyester anything is a no in my quilting world. No, No, No. They are an absolute nightmare if you hand quilt. Wondering why one would choose to use poly when there are so many beautiful cottons.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
. . . Wondering why one would choose to use poly when there are so many beautiful cottons.
Because that may be the only thing that is what is available to one . . . .
Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Because that may be the only thing that is what is available to one . . . .
That's what I was thinking. I know I use it because it is sometimes given to me to use. So I do.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM

I like poly for its color fastness and have used it in the past to make a quilt. However, I love the feel of cotton and find cotton easier to work with. Use whatever fabric you want!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 AM

My mother used poly cotton because that's what she had left from dress making. I have quilts at least 50 years old and they still look good. She sewed pieces to newspaper that she traced around a kitchen tile then cut out by hand for a pattern. Polyester blend doesn't crease & iron like 100% cotton but like others have said - use what ya' got. My quilts are for keeping warm. Mother hand quilted her quilts AND used sheets for backing.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 PM

I often use cotton/poly blends in quilts, I just try to have the cotton at least 60 to 70%. I don't get pilling, nor have problems with the other issues mentioned.
As to the why, I ask why not? Many of us quilt and live on a very tight budget and make use of what is available within our budget. I am a frequent shopper of thrift stores in linens and clothing looking for usable fabrics. I check the labels for fiber content but I do not automatically eliminate anything with poly in it.
The most important factor to me is the hand of the fabric. There are some 100% cottons out there that I wouldn't buy!
Hugs and smiles!!!

Last edited by wildyard; 04-22-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
Any kind of fabric can be used for quilts. Some of the most beautiful antique quilts include velvets and silks. Probably the biggest thing to beware of is shrinkage, especially in a dryer. Wool will shrink a lot and maybe several times. Cotton can shrink up to about 20%. Poly/cotton will shrink very little if at all. If you are mixing fabrics be sure all have shrunk as much as they are going to. You wouldn't want to make a beautiful quilt and have it shrink unevenly, even if you like the crinkle look. I made a lot of clothes out of poly/cotton blends and they wore beautifully. Many of the scraps were used in quilts and they also wore beautifully. They advantage to using old clothes is that they have been washed several times so you don't have to worry about shrinkage. Quilt for the joy of quilting and use what you like and can afford. Don't let anyone dictate what fabric to use.

I also had a poly double knit quilt that my Mom made for me in the 70s. My daughter has it now. It still gets plenty of use. I expect the sheet she used for backing will wear out before the double knit top does!
My MIL made each of my 3 boys a quilt of poly dbl knit. The backs had to be replaced from plenty of use and launderings, but not the fronts. I have had to repair some of the piecing, as it was all hand sewn and has come apart, but other than that, lasted for 30+ years. And all of them are very warm quilts.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:20 PM

The old heavy polyester double knit quilts from the 70s will be here long after all of us are passed on. They wear like iron. Lol!

I've used poly and poly/cotton blends with no major issues other than needing a cooler iron setting than 100% cotton. They tend to wrinkle less and hold their color better than many all cotton fabrics. Some can be more prone to fraying, but not all. Some doesn't feel very nice, some is great.

I've combined similar weight fabrics of all sorts without problems.

Now if I ever decided to make a show quilt (highly unlikely!) I'm sure I would use exclusively 100% cotton. I use more all cotton than not, but if it is the right weight and color and feels good, that's what is most important for me.