Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Advice >

Thread Advice

Thread Advice

Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Thread Advice

New to quilting and have been reading a lot to start FMQ. Having been piecing for a few months and close to finishing my first full size quilt. Can't seem to stop changing my mind!

Have been using polyester thread mostly for piecing because that's what I had. Based on some reading, I should be using 100% cotton for piecing and polyester for FMQ, but then read more, which ends up saying the opposite as far as FMQ goes. General gist seems to be to match thread to fabric.

So, should I use cotton for piecing and polyester for FMQ or cotton for both?

Would also appreciate brand recommendations. So many choices!

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:02 PM

The jury is still deliberating on that one. You'll get a variety of opinions. I've used both poly and cotton for piecing. Mostly cotton for quilting simply because I had colors to match the quilt. As far as brands, I've used Connecting Threads, Gutterman, Coats & Clark and ThreadArt. Most will agree that you need to try a few brands to see what you and your machine like best.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I think the weight of the thread is more important than the content.
As far as piecing goes, you want a thin thread so it doesn't take up too much room and distort the piecing. Most people use 50 or 60 wt., often cotton, but it doesn't have to be. I like Presencia but there are lots of Aurifil and Superior fans. When it comes to the actual quilting, it's a matter of the effect you are going for. A thicker thread like 40 wt is going to show up more than a 70 wt. A shiny rayon will have one look while a matte cotton will have another. Matching the thread color to your project will make the quilting less noticeable. You will see texture more than anything else and it will hide any mistakes! A contrasting thread will make your quilting stitches pop!
The only limiting factor with quilting may be that your machine will like one brand over another. Same brands as above.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM

I personally love Connecting Threads thread, I just bought several 1200 yd. spools for $1.12 each on their web site!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I piece with thin thread in top and bobbin. I like a size 70 or 80 in the bobbin and size 50 2 ply in the top. I usually use poly for for the bobbin, don't care if it is poly or cotton for the top. If I use a size 50 3 ply for the top, I use the thinnest thread I can find for the bobbin. I have Aurifil size 80 which is excellent and so is Invisfill. Connecting Threads Pro on the cone is size 70. For machine quilting I use whatever I like and just be sure the needle is the correct size for the type of thread.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I agree with using fine thread for piecing. I have experimented with cotton and poly, both alone and together. I find that poly, even when used only in the bobbin, does not give me as flat a seam as cotton. So my personal favorite for piecing is Aurifil 50wt cotton in both top and bobbin. (I would also use Presencia 60wt; just don't have any on hand.)

For quilting, what matters is how you like the look. I have found over time that, for the kind of quilting I do, I do not particularly care for look of the heavier weight cottons (such as King Tut). On my domestic machine, I do like the look of Aurifil 50wt cotton. That thread is not strong enough for my Voyager midarm (frame) machine, however. After trying out several threads with the Voyager, I have settled almost exclusively on Glide polyester thread. It adds a little sparkle to my quilts (of which they are in desperate need most times!), it suits my close quilting style, and it *never* shreds or breaks on me.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:23 AM

You can use either. The polyester thing is outdated back to when poly wasn't the quality it is today. I use cotton to piece, and I prefer poly to FMQ due to the fact it creates less lint and has less frequent breakage. I do like king tut as a cotton for quilting. I have found out recently though if you do machine embroidery on quilts to use a poly thread to piece because the cotton is weaker, and tends to cause holes in the piecing while embroidering so it was a tip from a class on machine embroidered quilts. Really it boils down to preference, as long as it is quality you should be fine
Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 AM

I prefer poly for quilting as it seems to break less often. A true "purist" will tell you all cotton, all the time.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 AM

Welcome to the board! As you've already gathered, it's a matter of personal preference (and perhaps budget, lol).

I'm one of those who match thread to fabric, so it's cotton for me; the thinner the better for piecing and 30-50wt for quilting, depending on the look I want. I do quilt occasionally in polyester, rayon and metallic, but usually it's Presencia or Aurifil for piecing and Superior King Tut for quilting.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree, the Jury is still out. We are women and we enjoy an assortment of choices. I am from the old school and saw what Poly thread did to quilts made in the 60s. But I realize that there has been a great improvement to the quality of thread during these past 50 years. But I am still stuck in the 90s and mostly exclusively use Mettler silk wrapped thread for both of my piecing and quilting. That is what the dealer told me to use when I bought my Bernina and I have never had a thread problem.