Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Bare Batting??? >

Thread Bare Batting???

Thread Bare Batting???

Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

it says Fairfield on the package.
i had trouble with hobbs Heirloom fusible recently and emailed them. they sent me two pkgs for replacement. i was shocked , but happy.
i doubt the thin area will "fluff" up hon.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Okay, that is a very traditional batting -- the type that antique quilts were made with. When you wash the quilt, the whole quilt will softly crinkle. This is the look you get with traditional batting. I personally love this look.

This type of batting is going to be thin (package says 1/4" loft, which is thin) and look as if it has thick and thin spots. There is nothing wrong with the batting; this is traditional batting. The "cotton classic" in the name indicates this. Fairfield is a reputable brand.

How hard is it to hand quilt? The batting I usually use is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton batting, which is a traditional batting similar to the one you purchased (but *much* less expensive, I think!). It was hard to hand quilt because there is so much drag on the needle. Quilters Dream Request is supposed to be much easier to hand needle; not sure if it crinkles up the same way when washed, though, as I haven't used it. Quilters Dream is a newer manufacturer of batting, and theirs is needlepunched. Fairfield and Mountain Mist have been in business for many decades; their "classic" battings are traditional battings.

If you prefer a high-loft, more modern, comforter type look, the batting you are using will not give you that.

Personally, I would just finish hand quilting with this batting and then wash the quilt. I love the way a quilt looks with traditional batting.

Next time, if you want more fluffiness, try Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. This is a little thicker than a traditional batting, probably easier to hand-needle, and probably closer to the look you were expecting. Most of us are very accustomed to the polyester comforter look these days; the bed coverings we buy from the store are invariably high-loft polyester. Hobb 80/20 is sort of a middle ground between the traditional 100% cotton look and the modern, store-bought 100% polyester look.
I agree. I've used batting with thin spots and couldn't tell where they were when I finished.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

U don't think it will fluff up, if anything I would think it would get thinner as time goes on and it gets washed and used .

When I want a "fluffy" quilt I use polyester batting
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

One thing I forgot to mention about this traditional type of batting is that it gets softer with every washing. I happened across a baby quilt I had made that got a lot of use for 15 years or so; the teen owner treasured it. The binding was frayed and the colors had faded to a very soft look, but what really surprised me was how soft the quilt had become over time -- it was like hugging a cloud! That's one reason why I like to use 100% traditional cotton batting for children's quilts.