Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Basting >

Thread Basting

Thread Basting

Old 08-04-2023, 03:46 AM

Default Thread Basting

Hi All, I'm going to do FMQ on a current project and just want to know if thread basting will be strong enough to hold the sandwich together. I have never done thread basting before, I've only glue basted or pin basted. My current project is partially glue basted right now and I thought I'd finish with thread basting since I seem to have problems with glue basting (using school glue that is). This is a wall hanging, so it is not too large.

Shari
Old 08-04-2023, 08:11 AM

I would recommend you watch the 2-part Sharon Schamber video on thread basting. She uses the board method, and recommends a herringbone stitch for basting, with very grippy tatting thread. I've never had an issue with anything shifting.

If you use a traditional running stitch with regular thread, I don't think it will hold adequately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Old 08-04-2023, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I would recommend you watch the 2-part Sharon Schamber video on thread basting. She uses the board method, and recommends a herringbone stitch for basting, with very grippy tatting thread. I've never had an issue with anything shifting.

If you use a traditional running stitch with regular thread, I don't think it will hold adequately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Thank you for the link. I just finished watching both parts and it looks like good information. I'm going to give it a try on my current project.

Shari
Old 08-04-2023, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
Thank you for the link. I just finished watching both parts and it looks like good information. I'm going to give it a try on my current project.

Shari
I hope you have as much success with it as I have!