Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread conditioner >

Thread conditioner

Thread conditioner

Old 05-06-2023, 01:45 PM

I only use a conditioner on threads that I have trouble with like some metallics.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:55 PM

Onebyone... she does not use a pressure washer according to her Youtube. She uses a washer that uses your own home water pressure. The Youtube video specifically says that she is not using a pressure washer. And she uses a car washing wand. Not sure if I actually want to try this method. You sure can't add colour catchers to this mix!! And who actually has a space big enough to hang a quilt to 'car wash' and have all that water drain?

Last edited by GingerK; 05-06-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Gingerk you are right. I bought one and the package said power wand so I got the wording wrong. I tried it using a quilt rack outside It certainly kept the quilt flat. I had a weight at the bottom. I could do both sides easily. But it is way too much trouble for a regular quilt. I can see the importance if it was a show quilt. S.Schamber over the last years has been doing machine and LA embroidery. Her classes were the best I have ever been too. Her daughter has the Purple Daisies website where her binding embroidery is featured. https://purpledaisiesquilting.com/co...haron-schamber
Old 05-06-2023, 07:04 PM

May have to try mineral oil, just used the last of my sewers aid a new half of. bottle is 24.95, yikes. Our prices are ridiculous. Our small metler type thread is now $3.06.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:53 AM

I use Sewer Aid thread conditioner on my longarm threads and it helps considerably with the the lint, I love it!
Old 05-07-2023, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
May have to try mineral oil, just used the last of my sewers aid a new half of. bottle is 24.95, yikes. Our prices are ridiculous. Our small metler type thread is now $3.06.
About five years ago I was wondering about Sewer's Aid and downloaded a SDS for it. It is CAS # 63148-62-9. So I went looking for products that had that CAS # and found that Super Lube has a Silicone Oil with the same CAS # I got mine from Home Depot. When I went looking for it again, I found that the price has jumped dramatically. This is the one I have https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lu...KVs_GfmYFxy61k But it is four ounces. Amazon used to have it, but unavailable now. I see that you are in Canada. I tried looking for it on Amazon.ca with no luck. Super Lube has a lot of products so it is hard to search for. I did find Super Lube's site and the same product number 56104 that you can click on Find a Distributor and maybe you could find someone near you that if they do not carry it, they can order it for you. Actually, I had to wait a bit to get mine as there was not a Home Depot near me that actually carried it. Yes, it is rather expensive, but when it costs close to that for a half ounce of Sewer's Aid and the Silicone Oil has eight times as much, I figure I come out ahead in the long run. Plus I can use the silicone oil for other things.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 05-07-2023, 06:25 AM

I just remembered that when I try to look up Amazon in another country, it gives me that it is unavailable. It may be available on Amazon Canada at https://www.amazon.ca/Super-Lube-561.../dp/B00OBV1JC2

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-10-2023, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SallyS View Post
Would you use a conditioner on Sulky rayon thread? I'm making an art quilt and am concerned that the Sulky isn't strong enough for free motion on my domestic sewing machine.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with me!
I have done a lot of free motion quilting on my domestic using Sulky rayon- it worked just fine, no conditioner needed. Make sure you are using a needle with a long scarf- that will help protect the thread and keep it from fraying. I like to use a number 10 topstitch needle.

Rob
Old 05-11-2023, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Amazon use to have Sewer's Aid in a 48 oz bottle. My sew group of four bought a bottle to split. We used empty machine oil bottles with the long pull out spout. We each got several full bottles from it. I am still using from the first bottle. I use it mostly for my hair. A little is all you need to condition your hair brush. It's the same as the silicone sold in the hair dep as frizz/humidity control. Also great on zippers. LOL
Old 05-11-2023, 06:42 AM

Still haven't found mineral oil, Home Depot next place to look.