Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Count >

Thread Count

Thread Count

Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by walen
How easy is it to use your thread counter and where did you purchase it? If you have time, I'd like to hear more about how you use it. Thanks.
I want to see some photos of it if you could post some.

Billy
Yeah, me too. The pictures of the ones I found via google looked like some kind of science project.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM

What an interesting thread! I've already learned a lot and can tell it my students in the handquilting workshops.Thank you all for you information!

This is a link I found:
http://www.threadcounters.com/
Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 AM

Bellaboo, see what you started? ;-) Now I can just imagine all quilters going
to their LQS with a thread counter in their purse. :D
Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 AM

You learn something new everyday. I never heard of a thread counter. Thats pretty neat but don't think I need one at this time. Thanks to all of you for the info
Old 06-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Power Poster

I know a high thread count is excellent for sheets, the higher the count the better the sheen, wearability etc. My question is, if you used a very high thread count for quiltmaking, would it make it more difficult to quilt (assuming handquilting)?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I know a high thread count is excellent for sheets, the higher the count the better the sheen, wearability etc. My question is, if you used a very high thread count for quiltmaking, would it make it more difficult to quilt (assuming handquilting)?
Yes, I'm sure it is. Have you ever tried to handquilt a batik? I really don't like it, these fabrics are so hard to needle. On the other hand I also have some problems with fabrics with a lower thread count than 60 - my stitches are too small. They "fall" betwenn the fabric fibres and disappear...
Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Administrator

in my little corner of the universe, it's more about whether the weave is tight enough to be sturdy, but loose enough to easily get a needle through; how good it does or doesn't feel; do i like it; and whether it fits my budget.

hats off to anyone dedicated enough to also include the thread count on their "will i? won't i?" checklist. that shows extraordinary attention to detail. :thumbup:

me? i'm too lazy to count threads. :lol:
Old 06-26-2010, 04:32 AM

To be honest: I actually don't check the thread count on a fabric when I go in the LQS. It's just the experience that tells me which fabric I take or leave. Mostly I can see it when I look on the bold if I would like the fabric or not and of course I have my favourite brands. I only buy what I really like and what I can afford. But the quality is important for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
in my little corner of the universe, it's more about whether the weave is tight enough to be sturdy, but loose enough to easily get a needle through; how good it does or doesn't feel; do i like it; and whether it fits my budget.

hats off to anyone dedicated enough to also include the thread count on their "will i? won't i?" checklist. that shows extraordinary attention to detail. :thumbup:

me? i'm too lazy to count threads. :lol:
My sentiments exactly, I never have thought about a thread count until I was using sheets for the backing. I always looked at the the weave and texture of the fabric.

Billy
Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I have several thread counters. I bought one from Hobby Lobby but it's very hard to read fabric threads with it. I have the R.O.S.E. (Roxanne Optimal Strand Estimator) It's much easier to use. ($15) At work I had access to an industrial one, I sure miss the perks of a good job. At home I put a piece of fabric under a little red microscope (the ones all kids had) It makes it super simple to count the threads and see the weave. I use that microscope for thread too. I was shocked at the slubs and thin spots on most all the different brands of thread. I can see how much fuzz is on a strand of thread too. Go to a yardsale and get one of the microscopes!