Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread and Machine Needles >

Thread and Machine Needles

Thread and Machine Needles

Old 06-11-2020, 05:28 PM

pocoellie, Haven't been away from southern California in probably 10 years. Right now the flu thing is keeping most people home.

You don't have to worry about me. Like I said, I am very patient. Had to be to survive 24 years in the military.

I appreciate your kind offer, but I think I just have to keep trying things until I learn what I am doing wrong. It probably is at least 75 percent my boo-boos, and maybe 25 percent the material I tried to work with.

I'm going to try to see if there is such a thing as a 3 1/2 inch square cutting template. I should be able to get that much out of each square. And in doing so, the squares will then be of uniform size. Then All I need to do is learn how to properly stitch on a machine.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:04 AM

I have (2) different 3.5 inch squares among my many rulers and I use them a lot.

One has a lot more lines, it is meant for people wanting to do miniatures and precise stuff and is too busy for me to read easily, but if all I'm using is the 3.5" dimension that doesn't matter so much. The other one has less lines and I like it better in some ways, but again, if all I care about is the outside dimension they don't matter too much.

One of my favorite "tools" is a roll of 1/4" masking tape, it can be used for many quilting related things, I often mark the cutting line of my ruler with piece of tape to help me both with my vision as well as my consistency issues.

There are also cutting systems that have dies. Some people love them, I have friends that do but I haven't felt the need myself.

We also have sheets of plastic grid that you can use to make templates, I do a lot with graph paper and the plastic, but you need to know in advance it is not meant for cutting around. You can draw around it easily, you can butt a ruler up to it and use a ruler, but that is really too thin to safely or repeat cut multiple pieces.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:34 AM

Wish I had seen this earlier..... I have spent a lot of time looking at YouTube at many different things. Superior Thread has a series of videos discussing thread and needles. I spent a lot of time looking at those trying to understand (what the vast majority of you already know!!) I even sent them an email asking their advice (So Fine 50 and top stitch needles, and I get the titanium coated needles). They will respond to you!!! Now I have seen a lot of different things about thread, and I will not go into much detail (I have already given you all I know!!) But I strongly recommend you go to you tube and check out the Superior Thread videos by Dr. Bob. I'm still learning, and currently have Superior, Gutterman, and Coats & Clark. I cannot tell you if one is better than the other...again many of you can. But I have found it interesting to search and learn.
And I wish I had gotten back here sooner!!! Hope this helps.... just remember this info is from an old motorcycle bum who is learning how to sew!!!
Old 06-12-2020, 07:29 AM

Spartenden, Yes, many of you have mentioned Superior Tread. I have them bookmarked so that I can remember things. I will check out the videos. I keep forgetting that many companies have videos on what their products are, and how to use them.

I sent $12 on one of those 3.5 inch squares with grids. I need them, but that doesn't mean sticker shock put me into a near catatonic state. The problem is with 3.5 inch squares is that all you get of the material is a 3 inch square once sewn. I'm sure it will come in handy in years to come. But for now, my whole goal is to create a lap quilt that does lay flat, and the seams actually intersect with each other.

I also need to invest in a 1/4 inch quilting foot so that I may actually be able to sew things straight. I thought the tape I put atop my sewing surface would help, but the fabric tended to wobble. And I tried very hard not to guide the fabric. I just let the feeder mechanism move it. All my hands were doing is trying to hold the fabric steady. But like many first time things, what is super easy for most people, is a trial for myself
Old 06-12-2020, 07:43 AM

While some people do take to it easily, it has taken me years of constant learning and repetition to get to where I am. Think of this as driving a car, you are still in the learners permit lane learning to drive. Eventually you get a license. Next thing you know (or maybe you didn't follow my path and got there sooner), you are zooming along.

I believe strongly that sewing is a physical (even if not large muscle) activity that requires hand/eye coordination and quite a bit more upper body strength than some of us may have to do the quilting part. It's like any other activity, if you only do it once a year you get rusty.

Most of us try to buy notions on sale/with coupons because yeah, they can get expensive fast. You rarely have to replace them once you have them, but they can break if hitting a hard floor at just the right angle or whatever. Start looking out for coupons/sales because you will probably eventually want ones somewhere between 6.5", 8.5", 10.5", and 12.5" or bigger even depending of the size of blocks you make. I keep my smallest blocks pinned to a cork bulletin board, I think you mentioned you are a small space quilter so probably tuck them away in a drawer or your sewing kit for now.

To help get that seam allowance, there are magnets (which won't hurt even a computerized machine) designed to use on your foot plate to help guide your fabric. Pretty inexpensive I would think.

On my old vintage machine I used a fancy bandage of my son's -- it was blue with I think originally glow in the dark stars. I placed it rather close to the edge of the case using a piece of graph paper to get the true marking, and the little pad of the bandage helped me guide my fabric in.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:55 AM

Iceblossom, Yes, I gathered the skills required will take some time to achieve.

Right now I am using my bar style kitchen table for my machine. It's a bit difficult to use because of the height, but it is better than the floor. My plan is to find some kind of furniture that has drawers. I want to get two of the same things. Then I can just go to Home Depot and purchase a nice sheet of plywood or maybe MDF. Something that is stiff and smooth anyway. I can then laminate it, and use it for a top over those two cabinets. That way I have storage, and a work place.

I have lots of magnets from my model airplane (rubber powered) building, but maybe the 1/4 inch feet with the metal guide on the right might be a good thing. Not sure, as I feel the fabric, if it wants to bunch on the right, is going to do it regardless of what I use. Not sure what anyone thinks about these 1/4 feet with the guide built on the right.