Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread recommendations >

Thread recommendations

Thread recommendations

Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM

I use aurifil and bottom line.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM

I have so many different kinds..I started with connecting threads and still sometimes use it, for the price I will clean out my lint more often. My absolute favorite and what all my machines love is rayon or polyester thread. I use it
for piecing, applique and quilting and I love the results.
One note on connecting threads, I used a red thread on a red white and blue quilt for my daughter and the thread
bled onto the white...it would not come out, I tried colorcatchers, bleach pens, you name it...its still there...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM

All my quilting now gets Isacord. Glides through machines just as Aurifil does, and no lint. Compare @$3.95 for 1093 yds for Isacord to @$10-13 for 1420 yds Aurifil. Isacord is a polyester embroidery thread, which works beautifully when piecing and fmq etc. It is a very strong thread and is very universal. And 50W gives perfect seams when piecing. Measurements in block patterns are exact as the thread is thin. I too have used serger thread for piecing, etc. I now use it only for regular sewing of clothes, doll clothes, potholders, serging, etc.
Need to find a source for many different colors of large nylon thread cones. They look pretty sitting on a shelf, never to be used by any of my machines.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM

This is a great topic. I use a lot of Connecting Thread for piecing, and general sewing...also sometimes for quilting. I have used Aurifil and really, really like it...but must say that what I LOVE for machine quilting is King Tut from Superior. It is my go to thread for quilting. (I quilt on my domestic sewing machine.) Also, I love the choice of colors.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM

My favorite thread is from Connecting Threads -- Essential Pro polyester cones --- but they're discontinuing it. Too bad. For machine quilting, it is fabulous (in my Janome 7700 Horizon). It's fine and matte. I don't like the sheen of embroidery thread for my quilting. If anyone has any they want to sell me (esp white), I'll buy it!

I don't use it for piecing -- just because on principle I use cotton for piecing. Makes sense to me that you want cotton to tolerate high pressing temperatures. So for piecing, I prefer Aurifil. It's pricey, but you can piece a lot with a large spool that you can usually get for $8.

I can't bring myself to use Connecting Threads cotton thread -- just too too thick for my piecing and my machine doesn't like it at higher quilting speeds.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I believe that Essential Pro is not being discontinued. There was a series of mistakes that got the rumor started, I think.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM

I use aurifil for piecing. For quilting, I will use connecting threads sometimes but if I have the color in aurifil or something similar I'll use it instead. I've had some bad luck with connecting threads thread.