Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread rippers

Thread rippers

Are those expensive thread rippers from Fons and Porter worth it? It looks beautiful, but does it work better than the little clover ones?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I like the cheaper ones, as long as it is sharp and fits your hand comfortably. One of my quilting mag (I don't remember which one) did a test of several different ones and the clover was one of the top three.

I have two of the cheaper ones fitted into wooden handles which make them easy to hang onto. Expensive stuff often worries me with easy-to-lose objects.

My favorite ripper is a scapel type ripper with a handle. The edge is so thin and just slips under the stitches so easy. Of course my favorite thing would be not to have to use it in the first place, but that's probably not going to happen.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a seam ripper that is also a blade on the end of a metal handle. I absolutely LOVE it. It works so much better than regular seam rippers, for me anyway. I think the gal above me is talking about the same seam ripper I am. It's all metal and very slim. It works so much faster than regular seam rippers. I don't recall the name of it but I bought it at www.ihaveanotion.com. Hopes this helps. It's all I use now.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    I am sure it's a very nice seam ripper but.....it will only be good until it gets dull. I don't know about you but I use mine al lot and they get dull over time. With the inexpensive ones I just replace them often.

They do get dull so I use the cheaper ones and the scapel type from gingher (they are more expensive but very nice handle and grip). good luck!
    Linda

I like the clover one with the brown handle. I bought several of the Dritz with the purple handle from Jo-Ann's, and the tips broke off right away. Then I bought the Clover ones (brown handle) and they are holding up well, plus they have a very narrow sharp tip that gets into the stitch easily. (You can tell I get a lot of experience with the ripper!)

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My seam ripper with the metal blade has replacement blades that came with the ripper. I am still on the first blade and have used it quite a bit. The replacement blades are very inexpensive. 3 for about the price of a regular seam ripper.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I use cheep rippers, I did try the clover, it worked great untill I droped it (I am a clutz) it broke, went back to my cheep ones. have dropped them more than once and never broke. If they do, easy to replace. I always have several open at one time, scattered through out my sewing area.

I use flat razors and carefully cut the threads. I don't even use the seam rippers anymore.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

If you are talking about the the red and cream Fons and Porter seam ripper with the large handle...I really love it.
    I have arthritis and it makes it very easy for me to hold onto...the skinny handle ones are very hard for me to hold onto.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I buy loads of the mini seam rippers from tooltron.com. I use a clover to get out the first couple of stitches then slice away with the little ripper. Especially effective when ripping out those tiny stitches used for paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    I HAD a Gingher seam ripper and it mysteriously disappeared. I think it must have slipped into the trash. I really liked it. Before that happened I contacted Gingher about replacement blades and was told that they would never need to be replaced.

I love my little folding seam ripper. I can fold it up and put it in my pocket whenever I have to do something else. I have a regular seam ripper that stays with my sewing machine.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I never make a mistake, so I don't even use seam rippers. LOL I use the Seam Ripper 5 1/2in with 3 replacement blades by Famore. I can't remember where I got it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i bought one of the 4 in 1 tools from alex anderson, seam ripper broke off the first time i opened it...i was pissed for several minutes and then sawed off even with the body of the tool, drilled a hole in the end for the little cheap blue seam rippers... now i know i can replace when i have to and the other 3 parts of the tool are great...

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    If you are talking about the the red and cream Fons and Porter seam ripper with the large handle...I really love it.
    I have arthritis and it makes it very easy for me to hold onto...the skinny handle ones are very hard for me to hold onto.
    I love that seamripper from Fons&Potter to!

My favorite is a plain Jane I have had for years. I like it for the small and sharp ipoint it has on it.

Blog Entries
    I have all kinds of seam rippers around the house, but I like my Clover best. The tip is tiny enough to get into the smallest stitches *which are always the ones that have to come out, never the big ones lol. Some of the cheaper ones work ok if you're ok with the thicker tip. My Janome machines also came with a seam ripper that is the same size and quality of the Clover one.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Blog Entries
    I love the little red handle ones! A very sweet QB Member send me several and I haven't had any problems at all. Still have 1 (lost top) from long ago.

I just bought one of these today at JOann's, its called "curved blade seam ripper" by Dritz. they are great!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I have a seam ripper that is also a blade on the end of a metal handle. I absolutely LOVE it. It works so much better than regular seam rippers, for me anyway. I think the gal above me is talking about the same seam ripper I am. It's all metal and very slim. It works so much faster than regular seam rippers. I don't recall the name of it but I bought it at www.ihaveanotion.com. Hopes this helps. It's all I use now.
    SUEB

Now that you mention it, I was really talking about the Ginger ripper! It's almost $30.00! It is comfortable to hold, but I looked at it and decided that the scapel end was a bit thick. Maybe I use them incorrectly?
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.