Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of thread and rotary blades.... >

Of thread and rotary blades....

Of thread and rotary blades....

Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Try the rotary blades at Harbor Freight in their carpeting department. I use them all the time and they work just as good as the expensive ones and are 2 blades for about $2.49. As far as thread goes, I have used many different ones but I definitely prefer Superior Thread. I know it is a little more expensive but it is so worth it. The quality is uncomparable. I have also had good luck with Aurifil, my second go to thread. Stay away from the tread from Connecting Threads, there is so much lint that goes into your machine, you will be constantly cleaning it out.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM

I have foun Connecting Threads thread is very linty and sure full up my sewing machine! So don't use that anymore and gave what I had away to a friend
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM

I use primarily Connecting Threads thread. But actually I have pretty good luck with anything, including Coats and Clarks. Back when I bought my Viking 870 I was having all kinds of trouble FMQ. Every shop recommended a different thread, as it turns out - the one they were selling. So I have quite a few threads, but to be honest don't really see a big difference except the some are a little shinier - sulky for instance. But they don't quilt any better. Blades - bad luck with Harbor Freight. They are cheap, but the one's I got (4) were all quite dull. Have one of those hand held sharpening gadgets - doesn't work very well. Interested in what other people have about the blades. Now I do what you are thinking - stock up when there is a sale.

People do say connecting threads is linty. I think all cotton threads are linty. I do brush it out every few bobbin changes.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Harbor Freight Blades

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
A lot of us have purchased rotary blades from Harbor Freight. They're meant for carpet cutting but fit the major rotary cutters. I've been happy with mine, but some people have had problems. (Harbor Freight reportedly will replace or refund if you're not happy.) If money is tight, you might try their blades - much, MUCH cheaper than anywhere else. I have heard more bad reports than good ones on rotary cutter sharpeners. Usually when my blades go bad it's because I ran over something I shouldn't have and caused a nick in the blade. Sharpeners don't help with that.
The blades I received from Harbor Freight were horrible and would not cut anything unless I ran the blade over about 3 times. I tried them on different mats, tried them in different holders and they still were bad. I was really disappointed because I had heard good things about them. I'll bet that they get their supply from different places in each state.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 PM

I have another reason why no one liked C&C. Until recently, the spool was the pits. They used a slit to keep the thread in place. Regardless of how you placed that spool, used a spool cap, the thread would get hung up somewhere. One thing about Coats - they usually have the color if you want to match older fabric. Metrosene and Gutermann seem to change shades every year. I've used serger thread, I like Aurifil and OESD. I've used some quilting threads, especially the multicolors for embroidery.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 PM

I have found that if you sharpen your blades before they get dull it does extend their life. After cutting for a couple of hours run it through a blade sharpener and it really helps. I've used all kinds of thread from Connecting Thread, Missouri Star Quilt Company, Guterman, Coats and Clark and various others. Some thread make a lot more lint it's true but I clean out the lint after three bobbins go through it and it doesn't build up. I use long q-tip type and it grabs the lint to remove it.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
"Connecting Thread is great for quality/price." I just ordered 4 cones of the polyester from the thread sale. It came very quickly. I ordered polyester, but it seems to actually be the cotton???? I have some other polyester that has more shine to it. I usually use the Robison Anton rayon thread and wanted to give CT thread a try. I love the fabric from CT!
I haven't tried the Rayon thread, for some reason I thought that it couldn't be ironed... do you use it to quilt or piece?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 PM

I invested in an electric blade sharpener which does the small blade as well as the next size up. Thirty seconds on each side and I have a blade which can slice through bone....just joking about the bone part, I still have my fingers. This has been such a good purchase, it has already paid for itself, and I have a brand new blade each time.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 PM

I have the harbor freight blades and have been very happy. For the few I have had to toss it still works out a lot cheaper than the brand name blades. As for thread, my thoughts are I am making a gift for someone. I want this gift to last and hold up to the many washing and all the love. I took the time to pick the fabric and the pattern why would I skimp on the thread to construct it. I use Aurifil thread because it is the best. I buy my large cones from Sue's Sew Ez Designs. I purchase the black and white large cones for $30 each. Great price. I find if I use certain thread brands my machine is a pain in the butt. Rather than deal with the breaks, lint and knots I would rather enjoy the process and not the constant maintenance that comes from these brands. Lucy may not know what brand the thread is but she still lets me know if makes her ill.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 PM

I have used Sulky, Mettlzer, Guttermann, to name a few for embroidery. I used cottons of Sulky, Connecting Threads, Coats and Clark, Serger thread, pre-wound bobbins, old thread of my Mom's, thread I bought at junk stores. All the threads, to me cause lint. It's the nature of cotton. Most of the time when I have a problems with threads, it's really the needle. I forget how long a I have used a needle some times. I was sewing on velco last week and the next day I couldn'tget the machine to sew although everything was threaded correctly. Then I remembered I had finished with the velco on that machine. Sure enough I felt the needle and it was sticky, gummy-like. I changed the needle and off I went... I think we have to be more frugal in today's times. Sometimes expensive is not always the best as I have learn as and I travel down this path of sewing, quilting, embroidery, threads, pins, and needles.