Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of thread and rotary blades.... >

Of thread and rotary blades....

Of thread and rotary blades....

Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 AM

I haven't tried the blades from Harbor Freight as I use a 60mm wheel, which I love, it closes automatically. I would say to buy blades when you have a coupon from Joann's or what ever store you buy from, try harbor freight blades - but do not invest in a blade sharpener. Most of us have tried them, and there is hardly 1 or 2 quilters who like them. I have forgotten that I used to use scissors (1980's) to use fabric - never again. It would be like living without my microwave.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM

I have not gotten around to trying it yet, but Leah Day is a big fan of Isacord thread. She likes the price and the performance. I've also not compared the prices in her shop to others on line but here's a link to her on line store.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/isacordthread.htm
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM

I am looking for a pinking blade to prep my fabric before washing. I have an Olfa cutter. JoAnn's has a
Acme-Clauss Rotary blade. It looks like it has the same hub as Olfa.

Has anyone tried
Acme-Clauss Rotary blades in Olfa cutter? Comments?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM

I am surprised to see only one mention for threads from Threadart.com I have used their threads for over 6 years now and have all my pupils on their threads. Very low lint on the cotton threads, http://www.threadart.com/c-661-cotton-thread-sets.aspx Their colour twist thread http://www.threadart.com/c-9-color-twist-thread.aspx is wonderful for embroidary and I have used it for quilting with great success.

I have an Elna 720 which loves their threads but my pupils have a huge variety of machines and their is not one that doesn't like it. Oh did I mention their prices, amazing low prices combined with superb service, do give them a try you won't be disappointed.

As far as blades are concerned I get mine from EBay as being in the UK we don't have a Harbor Freight locally I don't have a sharpener but I do find that cutting thro' a few layers of tin foil gives a bit extra life.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks for posting this thread Megan, until about a year ago I didn't know there was much difference in thread or types, except when I took my first class in quilting. The teacher said to use 100% cotton cloth, and all cotton thread when using 100% cotton cloth. Last year someone had some comments on thread types and that is when I discovered there were differences other than price and content.
I have a whole new perspective to learn about thread now.
Sorry for those who are out of work. I have my job which is good but less time for things I'd rather do, but the job allows me to have some money to do things with. Our wages are essentially frozen, we get about 2% raise, but contribution costs to insurance goes up about 4%, and parking is also up about 4% per year, so we are sliding in the wrong direction.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM

I use Gutermann in my sewing machine. I have Viking Husqvarnas and they don't like Coats and Clark. I use Connecting Threads in my longarm. I've never tried any of their thread other than the Pro for longarms. I've been very pleased with it.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM

I have a viking also and they ready do hate coats and clark, i found out the hard way.
my fave is Gutermann
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
I've had great luck with the Harbor Freight rotary blades. The Connecting Threads cotton thread I find quite linty- seems like I'm in the minority there. My favorite all purpose thread is Signature & I order it by the cone from http://www.wawak.com/
yes, this is a good supplier for thread........and a good thread to use for piecing and quilting...........either the full cotton or poly wrapped cotton.........
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM

I have been reading some saying some brands of thread are "not liked" by their sewing machines....I just don't understand that. How does the s/m know what kind of thread one is using? I have been sewing for a very long time, using all sorts of threads, new/old and all sorts of blends and the only time I really have to be extra careful is when using those metallic threads for embr/work and even then if using the right needle, correct speed and correct spool position it can be done. I also L/A and use either cotton or poly wrapped cotton, various weights..........If I find a thread breaks frequently while using even when all tensions, needle is correct, I have sprayed it very lightly with water, let it set a bit, or place in fridge overnite and this seems to regenerate the thread strands........just what I do, may not be for all
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM

No one has mentioned Aurifil thread. I love it for piecing. It is 50weight. Very skinny. I have used it for quilting also and love the way it sinks into the fabric. Aurifil isn't cheap, but there is lots on the spool.