Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of thread and rotary blades.... >

Of thread and rotary blades....

Of thread and rotary blades....

Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM

I see a lot of people say stay away from Coats and Clark thread. I was told when I started quilting to stay away from Coats and Clark. When I was younger Coats and Clark was all I used, but the thread is not made like it was when our mothers and grandmothers used that thread. It is wound different and produced differently - it is not the same thread today.. Back when, Coats and Clark was the best thread you could buy - now it is a lower quality product.

Also, stay away from Walmarts etc., very cheap thread. That is what they refer to as the meddlings (spelling?). It is the thread picked up off the floor in the thread factories and re-wound into thread. It is very linty and very weak thread. Why spend all the time and money making a quilt etc., just to have the thread rot out after a few washings? Besides the fact that, that really cheap thread is not good for your sewing machine!

Using Bottom Line or Serger thread is iffy too because it is a thinner ply thread. Bottom Line was made to use in bobbins because of the fact that the thinner ply gives you a lot more thread in your bobbin - you spend less time changing bobbins when quilting. Serger thread is made the same way because with a Serger you have double seams and the loopers to re-inforce the seam - so you can get by with a thinner ply weaker thread. I wouldn't use either to piece with. I want my quilts to outlive me - not fall apart because I used very nice fabric with cheap thread.

I use Superior piecing thread, DMC all cotton, Mediera all cotton, or any good quality thread to piece with. I quilt with King Tut exclusively because I want my quilts to hold up for years and years to come! I may use Bobbin Line in my bobbin, but it is off set with the really good quality King Tut on top. I'd never peice with a cheap thread in the bobbin and on top.

Just my two cents!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 12-29-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 AM

I use to only buy Coats and Clark for my older machines it worked great, no problems after making sure I used the same weight for top thread and bobbin. In my Bernina, I have been using Signature and Gutermann, bought on sale of course, I kept breaking the Coat brand so tried others until I found the 2 that work best for my machine. I usually buy blades at Joann's but will look into Harbor Frieght and the other sites Thank you for the information.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM

....and like buying groceries and price per ounce....check the length of the thread on the spools. Some spools are cheaper but the yards of thread are significantly less. I use Ariful and have found that I can use a more neutral thread for piecing most everything instead of having different colors to match the material. For me color is more important for the quilting that shows. Fewer colors of thread make a difference in the dollars too.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I use JHittle wholesale for my blades...the last time I bought them they were about $136 or so for 100...and they seem to be good blades. As for thread, I use it all, including some my Mom had years, and years, and years ago...if you try to stretch it and it doesn't break, it should still be good. Hope this helps!
I use JHittle a lot for many kinds of sewing notions. I buy thread and blades from them and have never been disappointed. Their products are name brand just at wholesale prices. I am not sure how they do it but I am glad they do.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Hi, I'm from MS too. Where are you in MS?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mommessy View Post
Harbor Freight blades have not been very good for me. They don't last long and skip quite a bit. I would stay away from them. I buy good ones now from JoAnne's with my half off coupons.
I have also had a couple of HF blades that wouldn't cut but have also had ones that last forever. I will continue to use them. When I bought my supply they were less than $1 a blade. As far as thread, Don't have a brand recommendation but a type. I quilted a very used quilt on diagonal with all cotton thread and when you pull on the quilt at all and the thread snaps. I am a poly girl now.
Robin in Brownwood TX
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

tape a large paper clip to the machine and put the cones in a cup or bowl. This works fine for the larger spools/cones.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

It appears from reading posts that the "best thread" to use is whatever your machine likes. Linting is something we all have to deal with so just clean out the machine frequently. I sometimes get thread fro the thrift shop which works fine. If I find a store closing out and they have the old Coats and Clark, I buy all I can afford. Everyone has a favorite and the sewing machines have their own opinion......so my opinion is to use what works. Test the old thread and if it breaks too easily then toss it. Otherwise, all may be good.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Why do you say to stay away from Coats & Clark?
I've found it to be very linty. Jams up my machine. My favorite polys are any of Superior's. I buy a bunch at the annual Tucson Quilt Show. If there's a quilt show near you - GO TO IT! You'll learn a lot, and you'll buy a lot unless you limit yourself to the cash you carry and leave your credit cards at home!

My favorite cotton for piecing is Aurifil. Several on-line places to order. I don't have my list here, but I imagine others have already posted. I find Connecting Threads cotton lintier than Aurifil.

I like all of Superior Threads embroidery threads - especially the Rainbows. Ditto Floriani. Stay away from rayon - it isn't colorfast.

All of this is my humble opinion. Others may disagree and have other opinions. That's the beauty of this board! Read what we all have to say. Then decide what sounds best for you.

Rotary blades: I've been very happy with Harbor Freight's. We temporarily jammed up their system when we discovered them a year or so ago. So many of us ordered them that they were backordered by several months. I've found they DON'T work in Martelli's cutter very well. If you have a problem with one, it's so cheap, just throw it away! 2 for $1.99.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by homecaregiver View Post
I also would like to know why you say to "stay away from Coats & Clark. They have been around for ever and I have never had a problem with it. I also use the Dual Duty.
Pat
For years, C&C was the ONLY choice we had. That's why you hear,'They've been around for years, so they must be good.' That statement isn't really true. Now we have MANY choices. I find their threads very linty, and I've stopped using them. For everyday sewing (not piecing), I use Maxi-lockserger thread. It has held up through loads of washing. I already posted a response about other threads.