Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of thread and rotary blades.... >

Of thread and rotary blades....

Of thread and rotary blades....

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Well, guess I'll chime in on this thread too. There are threads I like and some I don't like. Some you all say is linty, is not very linty to me, guess how linty is each persons personal opinion. I personally don't like Signature thread, FOR ME it is very very linty, may not be for others. One doesn't need expensive thread, Coats & Clark works just fine, so does Connecting threads, as well as Maxi Loc, Superior and the many others. I think one needs to use what they feel comfortable using and works for them in their machines and most of all what they can afford. As for rotary cutting blades, I have a True Sharp, it works okay to sharpen blades to hold me while I need to purchase new ones. I have also used the Harbor Freight blades, for the most part, they work for a time but dull rather quickly. I have just purchased a new Cutter with a titanium blade, plus two extra titanium blades. The blade cuts very well. So I say use what you can afford, take some of our advice, and make you own opinions from your experiences.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 AM

Love my sharpener ... I got it at Joann's ... nothing fancy it' s a circle with sandpaper. Directions are clear and easy to follow. It has extended the life of my blades, which I but in the five pack on sale of course. I also bring a friend to go shopping with that way I can buy 2 things on sale. I buy blades from Harbor Freight as well because they are cheaper. You get 2 blades for about $1.50. Sometimes there are nicks, sometimes the sharpener smooths it out and if not I just bring it back to harbor Frieght. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Okay my turn for my two cents worth... I like Coats and Clark thread... had no problem with it... some of the cheaper thread has lots of lint.... and with the newer computerized sewing machines you have to watch that.....harbor freight blades are okay with me... just try and use what works for you...
hugs
Quiltinmama
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 AM

In my opinion, don't invest in a blade sharpener kit. I have an older one and it is not very effective. I'd say just buy a few blades and try not to cut over pins, etc. Maybe they'll last you a while. I am off next week to buy a rotary cutter as mine is literally worn out (1980's) and won't run straight now. Good luck in finding a new job. Keep us posted. Aren't you glad you have quilting to occupy your mind during your "down time"?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM

i may be able to help you with advice on both issues. if i need an assortment of colors connecting threads is the place to go. however that being said i need black thread and white or off white thread this time as thats what i use the most of. threadart. com is having a sale til dec 31 for 1.99 a spool and connecting threads is 2.49 per spool. im getting ready to place my order today. i would also try a pkg or 2 of the carpet cutting blades from harbor freight they fit a 45 mm cutter and ive had good luck with them although not everyone does 2 blades for 1.99 is a small price and if that doesnt work out for you try ebay they have the best prices for blades and you can get your favorite brand cheaper there. i can also feel your pain about your budget too. i still have a job howver my pay has been frozen for 2 yrs and will be that way until you know where freezes over from the looks of things. and we have layoffs approximately every 6 mo so theyll eventually get around to me im sure. my hubbys job has decreased hours tremendously and his pay is frozen as well i guess people cant afford sandwich meat and hot dogs any more either.
apparently the improving part of the economy hasnt hit us yet in our area although im sure it could be worse. im going to have to learn to use my stash (thank god i have one) and just get creative lol. id be in trouble if i couldnt quilt. its the place i go to escape reality lol.
carla m

Last edited by carla m; 12-29-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 AM

I use Coats and Clark thread almost exclusively. I buy it on sale at either JoAnns or Hancocks. It seems to work fine for me. I bought some off brand at a discount store I don't remember the name. I didn't like that. Gueterman is also good but expensive. The spools don't seem to hold much thread. As for rotary blades, I used the ones from Harbor freight. They were OK, but they didn't seem to last very long. A couple came with dull spots. I no longer buy them. I like Olfa blades the best. They seem to last the longest for the money of the brands I have tried. I buy them with coupons.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 AM

Go to Harbor Freight and get the carpet cutter replacement blades. They're $1.99 for 2. I can't tell any difference between them and the others. And they are way less expensive.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 AM

Freight harbor sells rotary blades for about a $1.99 for 2 blades, fits 45mm rotary cutters. All I use now, unless I want a specialty blade. Since they are so cheap, I don't mind changing them. They work great because they are for cutting carpet.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM

I generally use Mettler or Aurifil thread for piecing and some machine quilting. I like Coats and Clarks poly for the vast array of colors that work well for machine quilting on my domestic machine. I prefer silk thread for applique, and my Joann's only sells Guterman so that's what I use. I really think what you use depends on what you're doing with it, and on your machine. Some are finicky!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM

this is a great place to get reasonable priced thread http://www.redrockthreads.com/

I use aurafil or Isacord and they are both good thread