Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread

I've always used Coats & Clark thread but thought I'd try Gutermann. Does anyone else have the problem with Gutermann knoting up quite a bit while quilting?

NOPE! My quilting machine loves it and 100% cotton from Connecting Threads.

Maybe I'll try cutting it into shorter strands and see if that helps.

I would love to find a great hand sewing thread that doesn't knot up when you really, really don't want a knot. And tangles are even worse. I thought it was me but maybe it's the tread I am using.

When I use up the Gutermann brand I have I'll be going back to Coats & Clark.

I have found Gutermann to be very linty and easy to break. Prefer Aurifil or Superior Threads brand, but have heard only good things about Connecting Threads.

Blog Entries
    try the connecting threads cotton thread

Have you tried putting bees wax on the thread, or using thread made for hand quilting? If the thread is coated with the wax, it doesn't break or twist or knot up.

Blog Entries
    I use thread heaven and it seems to help.

I read somewhere that you need to thread your needle with the thread the same way all the time. It is the way it comes off the spool. I always forget which I am suppose to thread. Try threading your needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knotting that end. If it still knots up do it the opposite---thread the needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knot where you cut the thread. I know it sounds weird, but there is a difference. Yes, I use guttermans.......

Blog Entries
    Love Gutterman.

I don't use Gutterman. Machine doesn't like it. Connecting Threads is good, as well as Mettler, Superior, and Aurifil.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    I read somewhere that you need to thread your needle with the thread the same way all the time. It is the way it comes off the spool. I always forget which I am suppose to thread. Try threading your needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knotting that end. If it still knots up do it the opposite---thread the needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knot where you cut the thread. I know it sounds weird, but there is a difference. Yes, I use guttermans.......

I've heard that about thread. But I always forget which way.

Did you know there is a front side and a back side to a needle? This is the reason a needle threads easier sometimes than others. On the front side the indentation were the eye is is deeper than on the back side.

Check you needle the next time you pick it up.

Connecting Thread seems to be doing well on my machine.

My favorite brand for hand quilting thread is YLI. Very seldom do I have a problem with knots or tangling

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I use thread heaven and it seems to help.
    What is "Thread Heaven"? A brand of thread? Something you put on the thread? Curious minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    My favorite brand for hand quilting thread is YLI. Very seldom do I have a problem with knots or tangling
    OK I'll bite. What is YLI?

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    I would love to find a great hand sewing thread that doesn't knot up when you really, really don't want a knot. And tangles are even worse. I thought it was me but maybe it's the tread I am using.
    I like Guterman and Mettler cotton, and I also use YLI quilting thread for hand sewing too. I just remember to drop the needle and let it dangle after I finish a seam. It's amazing how quickly I turn that needle. And I think that it's good for our hands to let ggo of the grip on the needle and flex our hands, like maybe every foot or so, just for a couple seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    I like Guterman and Mettler cotton, and I also use YLI quilting thread for hand sewing too. I just remember to drop the needle and let it dangle after I finish a seam. It's amazing how quickly I turn that needle. And I think that it's good for our hands to let ggo of the grip on the needle and flex our hands, like maybe every foot or so, just for a couple seconds.
    I never even gave a thought to the possibility of my twisting the needle as a cause for the knots and tangles. I will certainly take your advice and drop the needle every now and then (Like we used to have to do with our telephone cords back when telephones had cords.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    OK I'll bite. What is YLI?
    YLI is a brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    I have found Gutermann to be very linty and easy to break. Prefer Aurifil or Superior Threads brand, but have heard only good things about Connecting Threads.
    I think it breaks a lot easier than other threads too. Won't be ordering any more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter
    Have you tried putting bees wax on the thread, or using thread made for hand quilting? If the thread is coated with the wax, it doesn't break or twist or knot up.
    It is for hand quilting. Doesn't seem the coating on Gutermann is as heavy as Coats & Clark.

I searched "Connecting Threads" and the cotton hand quilting thread is "Essential" brand. Here's a link. Would you mind checking and seeing if this is the right one? Thanks! http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...ml?showAll=yes

Mine knots and tangles when I try to make the thread too long as well. I havent tried the guterman hand quiling thread yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    I searched "Connecting Threads" and the cotton hand quilting thread is "Essential" brand. Here's a link. Would you mind checking and seeing if this is the right one? Thanks! http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...ml?showAll=yes
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a great place to buy thread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast