Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Thread

  1. #1
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    I've always used Coats & Clark thread but thought I'd try Gutermann. Does anyone else have the problem with Gutermann knoting up quite a bit while quilting?

  2. #2
    Super Member Country1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,474
    NOPE! My quilting machine loves it and 100% cotton from Connecting Threads.

  3. #3
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Maybe I'll try cutting it into shorter strands and see if that helps.

  4. #4
    Granny Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    187
    I would love to find a great hand sewing thread that doesn't knot up when you really, really don't want a knot. And tangles are even worse. I thought it was me but maybe it's the tread I am using.

  5. #5
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    When I use up the Gutermann brand I have I'll be going back to Coats & Clark.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,749
    I have found Gutermann to be very linty and easy to break. Prefer Aurifil or Superior Threads brand, but have heard only good things about Connecting Threads.

  7. #7
    Super Member feffertim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Desert Hot Springs Ca
    Posts
    2,644
    Blog Entries
    14
    try the connecting threads cotton thread

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    225
    Have you tried putting bees wax on the thread, or using thread made for hand quilting? If the thread is coated with the wax, it doesn't break or twist or knot up.

  9. #9
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,772
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use thread heaven and it seems to help.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,304
    I read somewhere that you need to thread your needle with the thread the same way all the time. It is the way it comes off the spool. I always forget which I am suppose to thread. Try threading your needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knotting that end. If it still knots up do it the opposite---thread the needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knot where you cut the thread. I know it sounds weird, but there is a difference. Yes, I use guttermans.......

  11. #11
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,899
    Blog Entries
    1
    Love Gutterman.

  12. #12
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    29,324
    I don't use Gutterman. Machine doesn't like it. Connecting Threads is good, as well as Mettler, Superior, and Aurifil.

  13. #13
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    I read somewhere that you need to thread your needle with the thread the same way all the time. It is the way it comes off the spool. I always forget which I am suppose to thread. Try threading your needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knotting that end. If it still knots up do it the opposite---thread the needle with the end that comes off the spool first and knot where you cut the thread. I know it sounds weird, but there is a difference. Yes, I use guttermans.......

    I've heard that about thread. But I always forget which way.

    Did you know there is a front side and a back side to a needle? This is the reason a needle threads easier sometimes than others. On the front side the indentation were the eye is is deeper than on the back side.

    Check you needle the next time you pick it up.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Connecting Thread seems to be doing well on my machine.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Tilladare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    Posts
    358
    My favorite brand for hand quilting thread is YLI. Very seldom do I have a problem with knots or tangling

  16. #16
    Granny Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I use thread heaven and it seems to help.
    What is "Thread Heaven"? A brand of thread? Something you put on the thread? Curious minds want to know.

  17. #17
    Granny Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    My favorite brand for hand quilting thread is YLI. Very seldom do I have a problem with knots or tangling
    OK I'll bite. What is YLI?

  18. #18
    Super Member StitchinJoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    I would love to find a great hand sewing thread that doesn't knot up when you really, really don't want a knot. And tangles are even worse. I thought it was me but maybe it's the tread I am using.
    I like Guterman and Mettler cotton, and I also use YLI quilting thread for hand sewing too. I just remember to drop the needle and let it dangle after I finish a seam. It's amazing how quickly I turn that needle. And I think that it's good for our hands to let ggo of the grip on the needle and flex our hands, like maybe every foot or so, just for a couple seconds.

  19. #19
    Granny Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    I would love to find a great hand sewing thread that doesn't knot up when you really, really don't want a knot. And tangles are even worse. I thought it was me but maybe it's the tread I am using.
    I like Guterman and Mettler cotton, and I also use YLI quilting thread for hand sewing too. I just remember to drop the needle and let it dangle after I finish a seam. It's amazing how quickly I turn that needle. And I think that it's good for our hands to let ggo of the grip on the needle and flex our hands, like maybe every foot or so, just for a couple seconds.
    I never even gave a thought to the possibility of my twisting the needle as a cause for the knots and tangles. I will certainly take your advice and drop the needle every now and then (Like we used to have to do with our telephone cords back when telephones had cords.)

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    My favorite brand for hand quilting thread is YLI. Very seldom do I have a problem with knots or tangling
    OK I'll bite. What is YLI?
    YLI is a brand name.

  21. #21
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    I have found Gutermann to be very linty and easy to break. Prefer Aurifil or Superior Threads brand, but have heard only good things about Connecting Threads.
    I think it breaks a lot easier than other threads too. Won't be ordering any more of it.

  22. #22
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter
    Have you tried putting bees wax on the thread, or using thread made for hand quilting? If the thread is coated with the wax, it doesn't break or twist or knot up.
    It is for hand quilting. Doesn't seem the coating on Gutermann is as heavy as Coats & Clark.

  23. #23
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    I have found Gutermann to be very linty and easy to break. Prefer Aurifil or Superior Threads brand, but have heard only good things about Connecting Threads.
    I searched "Connecting Threads" and the cotton hand quilting thread is "Essential" brand. Here's a link. Would you mind checking and seeing if this is the right one? Thanks! http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...ml?showAll=yes

  24. #24
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,038
    Mine knots and tangles when I try to make the thread too long as well. I havent tried the guterman hand quiling thread yet though.

  25. #25
    Granny Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    I have found Gutermann to be very linty and easy to break. Prefer Aurifil or Superior Threads brand, but have heard only good things about Connecting Threads.
    I searched "Connecting Threads" and the cotton hand quilting thread is "Essential" brand. Here's a link. Would you mind checking and seeing if this is the right one? Thanks! http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...ml?showAll=yes
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a great place to buy thread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.