Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: thread ?

Blog Entries
    I use cotton, poly and cotton/poly for piecing but try to use the same type throughout. And yes, it is expensive. That's why I hunt for estate sales that have sewing listed in the description. I've purchased huge bags of thread for $5 and it's rare that I've come across brittle thread that needs to be tossed out. As long as it doesn't show through, I use any color at all. I know that's probably a big old taboo, but it's thrifty. Interestingly, at a lot of estate sales, I've seen bits of thread wrapped around cardboard or whatever -- talk about thrifty! Those, sad to say, get tossed.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I use whatever I have. Even an "all purpose" thread is fine for piecing.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I use Presencia long staple Egyptian cotton thread (50 wt). I get it for $1.69/100 meters or $5.99/500 meters. Not too expensive, and it's really good stuff.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vlrigdon View Post
    almost as many choices in thread as fabric!! i have just started using Superior SO-FIne 50 wt poly for piecing, I love it. I have Superior Bottom Line, I LOVED using it to hand sew the binding - I like to use a doubled thread, and this just disappeared in the quilt. I like good threads, my machine does too - it doesn't like lint! I do my own machine and FMQ quilting, and am on the lookout for a bit thicker thread to use for that part. Ideas, anyone?
    I think the Superior Sew Fine comes in 30 and 40 weight also. I love the 50 wt also and use it for FMQ. But I also love Connecting Threads for piecing - it very reasonably priced and I find it to be low lint. I am not sure why some say it is too linty. I have never had a lint problem with it.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

As long as it is good quality, I use anything.

Blog Entries
    I have used Gutterman 100% cotton since I started quilting. I use a light color(not white) for light quilts and a dark grey for darker quilts. I have used Ransome which is cotton wrapped poly.

I use a poly/cotton blend for piecing and all cotton for quilting. I only buy neutral threads, greys whites creams and beiges. Have industrial size cones of serger threads in deep golds cranberry and hunter green, use those for decor in my sewing room.
    Quilt outside of the box!

try Connecting Threads Website. I bought a large quantity of their threads. They came out to about 2.50/spool. Each spool has 1200 yards. Great prices; good color selection; good thread. They are 100% Egyptian cotton with a satin finish - 50 weight. They run some good sales. Good luck.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    Hello, my cyber friends....this is tapper.

I have been using 100% cotton thread for machine piecing. Cotton thread is very expensive. I am thinking of changing to polycotton.
    Will this make a difference to my piecing?
    Do you QB members use cotton thread, polycotton or other thread for machine piecing?

I know I can depend on this board for quick replies.
    Thanks.
    I use poly thread all the time to quilt. No problems, and no, it does not affect my piecing. I've been using up some of my thread that's been around for awhile for my piecing. No problems there either.

I think "lintiness" depends a lot on what color one is using. The CT red is very linty, but so is the Aurifil. The off white colors....not so much for either.

"But I also love Connecting Threads for piecing - it very reasonably priced and I find it to be low lint. I am not sure why some say it is too linty. I have never had a lint problem with it."

Ah HECK! I use whatever my hand hits...usually that is a grey Masterpiece on a BIG cone for piecing. Its not cheap, but I usually only use one of those babies a year...with one in stock JUST in case I run out at 10 pm and CANNOT stand to stop sewing. (usually at 10 I'm passed out snoring in the bed...sorry for the mental picture!) For quilting, my long arm is happy with most everything. For the most part I use Permacore or Omni, both poly wrapped cottons. I like the weight and the sheen. I have some silk, Glide and Magnifico to try. The Glide and Magnifico are both polyesters. I say use what you have, what you like and what is in the budget. Just my humble opinion. (No quilt police allowed...)
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Power Poster
    My first quilts - made over 20 years ago - were sewn with cotton covered poly thread(Coats and Clark Dual Duty) and they are our couch quilts - have been washed many times - I have seen absolutely NO EVIDENCE of the thread cutting the fabric.

Blog Entries
    I don't even know what type my tread is ................ I bought these HUGH cones from lancaster and paid $3.00 for it... they are industrial size... i sit it on the floor and rig it to my machine... both my babylock and janome are fine with it... it will las me a life time............
    Squirrelly Shirley

I look for long cotton staples or polyester. Mostly I'm concerned with weight. I use 50 wt Aurifil-cotton or 60wt Bottom lline-poly for piecing. The fine size of there threads allows the seam folds to lie flatter.
    As to quilt stitching, this depends upon density of stitching and the look of the stitching. Usually I use 30 wt poly wrapped poly-Perma Core. I have used 12 wt for high stitching visibility. If it's a high density, I like Bottom Line.

The choice also depends upon the machine I'm using, some threads work better on each of my machines. I have several collections: serger thread, 4 cones of each color, cross wound for the Brother, straight wind for my Bernina), LA thread (due to the speed of that machine I want low lent and strong thread).

Haven't heard of Marathon before. Where do you get it? Do they have a web site?

I use cotton, poly, silk. Lots of thread is from Superior, but also have YLI, Connecting Threads and Gutermann. I usually use Sew Fine for piecing, mainly because it's so fine and practically disappears into the seam. Paying more for thread is really a good thing in the end, when you think about how much fabric costs, it makes sense to use good quality thread too.

I have been buying my 100% cotton thread from Conecting Threads (Connectingthreads.com) I love the price,quality and service. A 1200 yard spool costs $2.49. I also purchase fabric from them and am very pleased with the quality and price.

I like cotton #50wtAurifil thread, but cheaper alternative is the cotton thread from "www.connectingthreads.com". I have several of the 5,000 yard cones; also buy the 1200 yard spools too. I only use cotton fabrics in my quilts.
    Sharon

Hi

I piece with Aurifil, basically the only thread I use, other than embroidry thread. It is a bit higher cost, but it seems to last and go a long way for the top and bobbin. Also, it is very low lint and is good for my machines, they love it and so does my machine dealer!

I use Guterman (spelling?) cotton if I need a color I don't have in Aurifil as no one around me has the Aurifil in the small spools. For embroidery I use Sulky or Maderia, and also for my applique.

Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

Hi,

I piece with Aurifil thread, basically the only thread I use as it's low lint, my machines love it, and my machine dealer loves it......cleaner machine means less problems!

I know Aurifil is higher priced, but it sure does seem to last and last. And, I figure I spent lots of money on my three machines and if it helps to maintain them, why not. I do sometimes use Gutermann cotton if I need a color I don't have in Aurifil....no one around me sells the small spools of Aurifil. For embroidery I use Sulky or Maderia....and I applique with emb. thread too sometimes. I use Aurifil for my hand binding, too. It just works good for me all around.

I think that it's a matter of what works the best for you and your machine and your wallet.

Bev
    Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    ARRRGGGHH how long will this myth prevail? This is not true, a fabrication a falsehood, been debunked. Poly thread will NOT cut through your cotton fabric over time. http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...dition-or-myth

And if you don't want to go to the above link here is a direct quote from Dr. Bob of Superior threads

The point is this: The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true. Under extreme use, a strong polyester thread might, but so will a strong, glazed cotton thread. Under normal use, softer non-glazed threads will not tear through the fabric and it is perfectly fine to use any type of quality thread, except nylon. Nylon will go brittle and discolor over time. Choose your threads based on quality, feel, and appearance, avoiding wiry glazed threads. Although they are rarely labeled as such, if the thread is stiff and wiry, it most likely has a glaze coating.

Thanks for clearing that up, I also was taught when I took my first quilting classes to use only cotton thread with cotton fabric.
    quilting with my dogs

This has been a great thread...haha, pun intended! I have a low-end Singer and it seems rather particular about which thread it will sew well with. We discussed it, I used bad language, and in the end it won. It likes Coats and Clarke and Aurifil, spits out the metallic the nice lady at my LQS let me borrow, hates Mettler, and isn't fond of Sulky. Is is common? I'm ready to name it Morris because its such a picky eater! I don't have a local Aurifil dealer, but do have a Joann's - I do love the Aurifil, but is the C & C just as good or good enough that it won't make a difference?

Thank you!

I have used poly and cotton, with no dramas. Gutermann 100% cotton is my favourite and the one I use for quilts that don't live at our house.

I use whatever the quilt shop has, and I usually choose cotton. As long as the thread you're using is giving you the results you want, use it. I hand piece and quilt and I don't like the feel of "quilting thread." And I like to go all natural with my sewing/ knitting, so I gravitate toward cotton.

Blog Entries

Signature thread

I buy my thread for Heartbeatquilting.com and their price is terrific even with the postage. The service is great also. Signature threads come in a 3000 yd cone for around $7.00 from Heartbeat. One type is 100% cotton, another is cotton wrapped poly. Both are great products. I am not involved with either the thread company or Heartbeat quilting other than to be a very pleased customer.
    Last edited by topstitch; 02-17-2013 at 02:02 AM.

I use Threadart.com threads, their prices are so low that even with postage to here in the UK they come out at under half the price that I can buy here. I used to use all Cotton threads but recently have tried out bobbin thread, so nice to use and cuts down having to wind bobbins. I also empty all my bobbins for piecing, whatever the color.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast