Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: thread ?

thread ?

Hello, my cyber friends....this is tapper.

I have been using 100% cotton thread for machine piecing. Cotton thread is very expensive. I am thinking of changing to polycotton.
    Will this make a difference to my piecing?
    Do you QB members use cotton thread, polycotton or other thread for machine piecing?

I know I can depend on this board for quick replies.
    Thanks.

I use poly cotton--probably most of us do. It is strong and not so linty as all cotton. Well, anyway, that's what I use for just about everything but embroidery!

I prefer cotton, but have so many spools of the poly from years of sewing clothes. I can't just throw all that thread away, so that is what I use to piece. And...I use whatever color I grab, as long as it doesn't show through. For fmq, I use cotton thread only....my 6600 seems to like it better that way.

Blog Entries
    i've been piecing with cotton, but just switched to the polycotton as it is a bit thinner and my dear jane blocks are laying flatter.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I use cotton because I use cotton fabric. Poly thread will eventually cut thru cotton fabric. I'm not spending that much on fabric and all the work that goes into a quilt to have it not last as long because I tried to cut corners and use a cheaper thread. If I use cheaper thread I might as well use the cheaper fabric as well. That's just my opinion; I want my quilts to last. I wouldn't worry about it so much with clothes because we don't expect them to last generations like we do quilts.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i've been piecing with cotton, but just switched to the polycotton as it is a bit thinner and my dear jane blocks are laying flatter.
    Use Aurifil 2 ply cotton; its stronger and it really makes a difference in your seems laying flat and your blocks being the right size. Its low lint too.
    Judy

Power Poster
    I use whatever my machine likes which is almost all threads. My new favourite is Aurifil but it's not cheap at $12 a spool here.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Use whatever works for you and your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I use cotton because I use cotton fabric. Poly thread will eventually cut thru cotton fabric. I'm not spending that much on fabric and all the work that goes into a quilt to have it not last as long because I tried to cut corners and use a cheaper thread. If I use cheaper thread I might as well use the cheaper fabric as well. That's just my opinion; I want my quilts to last. I wouldn't worry about it so much with clothes because we don't expect them to last generations like we do quilts.
    ARRRGGGHH how long will this myth prevail? This is not true, a fabrication a falsehood, been debunked. Poly thread will NOT cut through your cotton fabric over time. http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...dition-or-myth

And if you don't want to go to the above link here is a direct quote from Dr. Bob of Superior threads

The point is this: The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true. Under extreme use, a strong polyester thread might, but so will a strong, glazed cotton thread. Under normal use, softer non-glazed threads will not tear through the fabric and it is perfectly fine to use any type of quality thread, except nylon. Nylon will go brittle and discolor over time. Choose your threads based on quality, feel, and appearance, avoiding wiry glazed threads. Although they are rarely labeled as such, if the thread is stiff and wiry, it most likely has a glaze coating.

I use Marathon cotton thread. It comes in a 6000 yd cone & it's a 50wt. It goes a long way on your bobbin
    Do what you want...Love what you do!!

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I use poly cotton--probably most of us do. It is strong and not so linty as all cotton. Well, anyway, that's what I use for just about everything but embroidery!
    I'm pretty sure you can't speak for "most of us."

I never use poly cotton. I use Aurifil and Prescencia for piecing. They're both low lint and thin threads. If you figure the actual cost of thread you might be surprised at just how much that "cheap" thread actually costs you. Divide the yardage by the price to get the true cost per yard.

I use poly and poly/cotton all the time. I do not have issues with its performance. Use what you like, judge it by the lint, how well your stitch form, its strenght, and its overall performance. As mentioned earlier, poly does not cut the cotton fabric this myth just never seems to go away.

Banned
    I buy whatever is on sale. lol

almost as many choices in thread as fabric!! i have just started using Superior SO-FIne 50 wt poly for piecing, I love it. I have Superior Bottom Line, I LOVED using it to hand sew the binding - I like to use a doubled thread, and this just disappeared in the quilt. I like good threads, my machine does too - it doesn't like lint! I do my own machine and FMQ quilting, and am on the lookout for a bit thicker thread to use for that part. Ideas, anyone?
    "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy!"

Blog Entries
    For quilting, I use Connecting Threads' Essential Pro Polyester 3-ply 70 wt thread. It works great for piecing also, and the price is right.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

My machine will piece with cotton or polyester however I am in the process of switching over to Connecting Threads Egyptian cotton. My machine will not quilt with anything but cotton thread and it is the most reasonable to purchase.

Blog Entries
    I have never bought into the "Poly thread cuts cotton fabric" theory. In my opinion, the poly just out lasts the cotton fabrics. And according to Superior Threads website, this is what they believe also https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...dition-or-myth

Here is another link that debunks the myth: http://doodlequilts.blogspot.com/201...polyester.html This site even states that cotton thread will cut cotton fabric under the right conditions.

ETA - Sorry, I didn't see that Feline Fanatic had posted the link to Superior Threads website! I guess great minds think alike!
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 02-13-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add info
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Definitely a Myth

Thank you Feline Fanatic! You are so right, that is a very old myth. I use 100% cotton to piece because it can take a hot iron and my seams lie flat. If I'm paying $10 - $12 a yard for fabric, I don't mind paying a bit more for quality thread.

Blog Entries

Poly thread manufactured now will not harm the fabric. It has been disproved many times. . Seems it's the quilters that have been quilting for for several decades that still believe this and keep passing the wrong info along. I think that comes from not keeping up with what is new in the quilting products. I won't use poor quality thread no matter what type it is. CT cotton thread is very good and not expensive. http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...g_threads.html
    Got fabric?

Banned
    I don't believe poly thread has ever been tested to see if it cuts through cotton fabric.

Here's another vote for Connecting Threads. Not only is it great quality for a lower price than poly/cotton from your big box stores but my fussy machine likes it. Also, I love the fact that it has a simple straight spool. The ones they try to make fancy with wide bases, narrow tops etc my fussy machine won't accept half the time because I can't reverse the way the spool rests. My old Singer plods through anything but not the other machine.

I use cotton thread. It does produce lint but I just clean the bobbin case area frequently. I think that because I am so used to working with cotton that I didn't like or wasn't used to the polyester thread; therefore I am just sticking with cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post

I never use poly cotton. I use Aurifil and Prescencia for piecing. They're both low lint and thin threads. If you figure the actual cost of thread you might be surprised at just how much that "cheap" thread actually costs you. Divide the yardage by the price to get the true cost per yard.
    I apologize for the phrase "probably most of us...". I'm pretty sure I was being presumptious.

I use 100 cotton thread from Connecting Threads. Its is $2.49 for 1200yds and comes in a lot of great colors. Both my machines Singer and Brothers like it!!!! Also they have free shipping for orders over $50. I am sure you can find that much stuff you like besides thread. Also this thread seems to last a really long time!!!!!!!!!!!!That said I just used CC poly thread on some charity doll quilts that I just made and it also worked fine and I can not tell the difference except I used over a spool of thread at $4 that a lot of thread and money.
    Last edited by bigsister63; 02-14-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post

Scissor Queen is so right about the actual cost of thread. I use Connecting Threads 50 wt cotton, Superior's So Fine & Bottom line in the large spools sizes and they are the most economically thread to buy IMO. I have no problem with lint build up because I clean my bobbin case at every bobbin change, my seams come out true, and never problems with them coming apart. They are a better BUY for the BUCK!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast