Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Remember, you have to have the right size needle to go with the thread you choose. Superior Threads has everything you need to know about needles and threads. I use 50 wt. thread. It's thin and helps me with my scant 1/4" seam. The higher the thread number, the thinner the thread. A 40 wt. is thicker and requires a bigger needle. Go to www.superiorthreads.com/ Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM

You can use anything on your brother with no issues. On my brothers I have used guterman, mettler, superior, madeira, coats and clark, connecting threads, and sulky none have ever given me any problems. All work well for any project for piecing I use mostly gutterman because it is readily available and I can use coupons at joanns, and its on sale a lot of the time. I hear good things about aurifil and presencia but have yet to try these as my machine works fine with the others and they are cheaper. Maybe one day I will try it for fun. I also hear good things about isacord. There are alot of good threads on the market and brothers aren't picky
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM

I agree with Dolphyngyrl that Brother machines don't seem to be picky. My Brother will use any thread without a problem, cotton, poly, doesn't matter. I have switched to using topstitch needles only because I like them -- they give the thread a little extra "eye" space and I also find them a bit easier to thread (could be my imagination!). I wouldn't worry too much about what brand of thread -- my Brother likes everything and I doubt you'll have issues with any decent quality thread.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM

My particular Singer likes Coats and Clark Dual Duty and hates everything else (so far). It's been an interesting, sometimes frustrating odyssey figuring that out.

I say that to urge you to try again if you don't have luck with the first thread you try. Don't automatically assume you are doing something wrong if you aren't getting the results you want.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM

I have 2 Janome machines, 2 singers & a Kenmore. All of them work well using Coats & Clark (either all purpose or cotton) or Essentials Cotton for piecing. I have the HQ Avante for quilting and I prefer the Glide Trilobal Polyester 40 wt thread. With the poly there is no lint and I never have tension issues.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:32 PM

My Brother loves the Aurifil thread and absolutely hates C&C. I only buy Aurifil for my quilt tops, usually from an online store I bought from on a bidding site (I'm not sure whether I can use the name or not, so let's just say it is the most well known). The prices (even with shipping) are better than my LQS.