Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread

Thread

Could i have some suggestions as to what kind of thread to use for a beginner machine quilter on my Brother sewing machine and any suggestions would be appreciated. Kinda nervous, have done a little before but wasn't happy with the results. Thank you

For what? FMQ? Piecing? Stitch-in-the-ditch? I use different threads for different things and when I am going for different looks. Or do you just mean reliable brands?

Power Poster
    My favourite for piecing is Aurifil but any good brand of sewing thread will do for piecing. I buy machine quilting thread for machine quilting. With the machine quilting thread, I usually go for the colour I want over any particular brand. There is really good information about threads on the Superior Thread co. Web site.

I use Coats&Clark and have for years. I know some people don't like this brand, but it works for me. I also use Mettler and Gutermann. I have heard good things about Aurifil and the thread from Connecting Threads, which is priced very nicely. Some people also use Poly thread with good results. I think the most important thing is if your machine with like it. Some machines are picky and work better with certain threads. Good luck,Gina

And yes to what Tartan said!

For piecing I use Superior Threads Masterpiece. www.superiorthreads.com I use their So Fine a lot. They have a new thread out I haven't tried that might work for you. I would call them they are always glad to help. I am talking about longarm / midarm machines.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

mettler and aurifill are my choices, but I also also have spools of coats which my machine does not like and others I have tried over the years. Silver needle advise about calling will get your questions answered ....you could gooogle you tube brother machines and see if there is help there... just remember to have fun...
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Depends on what you are doing Piecing, ect. Check out Superior threads there is a lot of info there!

Just be careful not to buy Hand Quilting thread cause that is waxed and will mess up your machine big time. I also like Auriful, a bit pricey but you get a lot on a spool, I also use Gutterman.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It depends on what your machine likes. My machine won't sew Coats and Clark Dual Duty at all but she has no issues with any other thread, including Coats and Clark Star Variegated. I generally use a 50/3 cotton thread for piecing (in neutral colors) and quilting (in colors to match or contrast- depending on how I feel). I do have some polyester thread that I plan to use when the color fits. Cotton thread is a bit more linty but it doesn't bother me. My brands are Connecting Threads, Superior, Madeira, Guterman, and probably some others. I ALWAYS get mine on sale as threads can run up the bill.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My Brother machines will both sew happily with whatever I put in them. They are not picky at all. Use whatever gives you the look you like.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Remember, you have to have the right size needle to go with the thread you choose. Superior Threads has everything you need to know about needles and threads. I use 50 wt. thread. It's thin and helps me with my scant 1/4" seam. The higher the thread number, the thinner the thread. A 40 wt. is thicker and requires a bigger needle. Go to www.superiorthreads.com/ Hope this helps.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

You can use anything on your brother with no issues. On my brothers I have used guterman, mettler, superior, madeira, coats and clark, connecting threads, and sulky none have ever given me any problems. All work well for any project for piecing I use mostly gutterman because it is readily available and I can use coupons at joanns, and its on sale a lot of the time. I hear good things about aurifil and presencia but have yet to try these as my machine works fine with the others and they are cheaper. Maybe one day I will try it for fun. I also hear good things about isacord. There are alot of good threads on the market and brothers aren't picky
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I agree with Dolphyngyrl that Brother machines don't seem to be picky. My Brother will use any thread without a problem, cotton, poly, doesn't matter. I have switched to using topstitch needles only because I like them -- they give the thread a little extra "eye" space and I also find them a bit easier to thread (could be my imagination!). I wouldn't worry too much about what brand of thread -- my Brother likes everything and I doubt you'll have issues with any decent quality thread.

My particular Singer likes Coats and Clark Dual Duty and hates everything else (so far). It's been an interesting, sometimes frustrating odyssey figuring that out.

I say that to urge you to try again if you don't have luck with the first thread you try. Don't automatically assume you are doing something wrong if you aren't getting the results you want.

I have 2 Janome machines, 2 singers & a Kenmore. All of them work well using Coats & Clark (either all purpose or cotton) or Essentials Cotton for piecing. I have the HQ Avante for quilting and I prefer the Glide Trilobal Polyester 40 wt thread. With the poly there is no lint and I never have tension issues.
    Nana Kat

My Brother loves the Aurifil thread and absolutely hates C&C. I only buy Aurifil for my quilt tops, usually from an online store I bought from on a bidding site (I'm not sure whether I can use the name or not, so let's just say it is the most well known). The prices (even with shipping) are better than my LQS.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.