Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 11:58 AM

Default Thread

When quilting a light top and dark back do you use the same thread color in both top and bobbin? I want to quilt the quilt I just posted in pictures with white thread. However if I get a colored back white bobbin thread will show. Does it matter?what do you do?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

How good are you at balancing tension? If you are really good, then it should be okay. You could also use a brown sharpie to colour the white pokies if you get a few.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:02 PM

I have heard that once the quilt is washed the two threads nest into the middle and then the correct colour is on the correct side. I recently did a small quilt on my longarm to test this theory, but I haven't had chance to finish the binding and then wash it to test it out.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:54 PM

I just about always use the same color thread in the needle and bobbin. No pokes on the top that way. I usually also pick a somewhat textured fabric for the back. Once in a while I will just use a grey or cream in the bobbin depending on the fabrics in the top and bottom. I use a 50 weight thread usually (usually so fine) which really blends in fairly well and is not the noticeable. I do not make quilts with a lot of plain space for showing off my quilting.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:12 PM

I use light top thread and dark bobbin thread. My Juki has a very ballance stitch and it works fine for me.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:54 PM

I can use different colored threads on my domestic Bernina just fine. But I cannot on my Handi Quilter longarm.

I try to match the backing fabric to the thread color I will be using on the top of the quilt.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:30 AM

9 times out of 10 I will use a neutral color (white, gray, or cream) on the top, but use a color matching the back piece for the bottom. To me, my quilting isn't perfect and it shows less than if I used the same color on top and bottom. I am my own worse critic!
Old 11-20-2022, 04:34 AM

I pretty much stay with neutral colors (natural, white, medium grey) for lighter fabric and use (black, Persian blue, or the medium grey) for darker fabrics. I like to keep multiple bobbins made up and I really don't want to need to have a trillion bobbins with multiple colors I would rarely use. Surprisingly, I found that the neutral colors, seem to blend in and take a hue from the fabric it is next to.

I go with what blends in with the backing fabric for my final quilting.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:35 AM

If the quilt top is light and the backs dark I use two different colors and balance the tension. So far I've been lucky and it's worked well for me.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:05 AM

I like using the same color top and bottom no matter what the backing fabric is cause I find the quilting looks great on the back and you can see it much better as there's no various blocks hiding the lovely quilting. This way both sides look great but that's my opinion. On one of my quilts, the recipents loved both sides and didn't know which side they wanted to face up for all to see. I normally try to match up my backings with the quilt itself though so most times the thread looks good anyway.