Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Sweet !! I love homemade ornaments. Thanks for the feedback !
Originally Posted by toomanycats
here is an idea for leftover spools my aunt and I did one summer I was visiting. she would go to salvation army or good will or yard sales and pick up costume jewelery then take it apart for the gems...then we would take ribbon and cover the middle of the spools or can paint them. we then would take pieces of the jewelery and glue it onto that to make a design. thread a ribbon through with a bead on the end to keep from pulling through and we would have christmas ornaments.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM

I am thinking you are right !!!!
Originally Posted by Yellow Bird
I have always thought the sewing machine people are in cahoots with the thread people!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM

I use all of this sort of thread for basting - hand and otherwise - or on things that aren't really that important.

All of my kitchen and bath towels were fraying badly around the edges. I used a lot of the old thread to secure the edges up.

(Too cheap to buy new towels when these were still good except for the edges and was lucky the colors matched.)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

i apply a line of sewer's aid to old threads.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM

My Mom and I went thru her thread boxes last fall and she gave me loads of Coats and Clark spools that are probably around 20-30 years old. I use them when I turn and hand-stitch the binding. She had quite a variety of colors (some pretty funky), so now I have thread to match pretty much any fabric. I use Aurifil in my machine, but like the Coats and Clark for stitching the binding.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Ha Ha!! I've been using some of my GRANDMOTHERS thread, and she died in 1973 (and probably didn't do ANY sewing for at least the last 2o years of her life)!! My H-Viking isn't fussy about thread, can mix and match no problem, but my Janome is another story. It has to be the "good" stuff and it has to be the SAME stuff top and bottom otherwise it vomits.

Old thread is also great for binding.

Sue
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM

I have a whole bunch of thread that came from one of my husband's Aunts. I bought one of the lamps you can take the bottom off and fill. I filled it full of spools of thread and while I was putting the thread in I wound an old tape measure thru the spools and dropped in a couple of her thimbles. Then I dumped a small tub of craft buttons from Wal-Mart in and shook them thru. It looks really awesome and it's a great keepsake.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 AM

If it is poly I will use it for basting
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 AM

What about making something special for you and siblings if there are any. Have you seen the scarves where you put the threads between two layers of wash away stabilizer and then stitch them down? I did something similar, only I put a piece of contrasting fabric down, then put threads all over that and then put down the layer of washaway. I stitched all over that and then had a piece of fabric to make a bag out of.
Could be a jumping point of something fun to to?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 AM

That's different. Haven't thought about those. I've seen them on Nancy Z show and they are very pretty. Thanks for the idea !
Originally Posted by marybs
What about making something special for you and siblings if there are any. Have you seen the scarves where you put the threads between two layers of wash away stabilizer and then stitch them down? I did something similar, only I put a piece of contrasting fabric down, then put threads all over that and then put down the layer of washaway. I stitched all over that and then had a piece of fabric to make a bag out of.
Could be a jumping point of something fun to to?