Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 AM

I, too, inherited a good bit of old thread from my MIL and have slowly used it as long as it seems to be strong enough for the project. Snap it good to make sure it doesn't break--if it doesn't, it is probably OK to use, at least for hand sewing on bindings and the like. Sometimes even OK for my machine, a Singer. I'm sewing as fast as I can to not leave much old thread left when I'm gone!

Empty spools are great for crafts for kids. Remember making animals with them? Spool is the body, with cardboard front and back legs, yarn or string tails, etc. My First Graders at school have loved making horses that way! Lots of good fine-motor workouts for those little hands, and better than video-game-thumbs!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 AM

I think I have enough thread to sew all of my stash---and that's plenty of both! I, too, have much from many years ago and keep using it with fine results. I get excited when I empty a spool, but often don't have to shop to replace it as I have many shades of many colors. Frugal quilters that we are, keep unwinding those spools with your sewing machine.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow Bird
I have always thought the sewing machine people are in cahoots with the thread people!
I think the thread people are the ones who came up with the idea of meandering and other close machine quilting, too. Takes a LOT of thread to do a quilt!

I have some thread that I have no idea how old it is. I do keep that separate from what I know about and use the "off" colors to do basting. It serves a purpose before being discarded.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM

I'm trying to use up all my older thread piecing.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM

I too have "old" thread, and if it tends to start breaking, this goes for that good machine embroidery thread too, put it in the freezer overnight, in a plastic bag, it brings back the moisture in the thread and it is strong again. Sounds crazy, but it works.

As to the wooden spools left over, I have used mine as pedestals for projects, also, could be used for arms and legs for dolls. Get creative!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I have a whole bunch of thread that came from one of my husband's Aunts. I bought one of the lamps you can take the bottom off and fill. I filled it full of spools of thread and while I was putting the thread in I wound an old tape measure thru the spools and dropped in a couple of her thimbles. Then I dumped a small tub of craft buttons from Wal-Mart in and shook them thru. It looks really awesome and it's a great keepsake.
I love your idea! Can you post a photo of your lamp?

I have donated some of cheap inherited thread to a local high school's theatre department, but have kept some for basting, etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearrynice
I too have "old" thread, and if it tends to start breaking, this goes for that good machine embroidery thread too, put it in the freezer overnight, in a plastic bag, it brings back the moisture in the thread and it is strong again. Sounds crazy, but it works.

As to the wooden spools left over, I have used mine as pedestals for projects, also, could be used for arms and legs for dolls. Get creative!!!
Would love to see a picture.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by rilene
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I have a whole bunch of thread that came from one of my husband's Aunts. I bought one of the lamps you can take the bottom off and fill. I filled it full of spools of thread and while I was putting the thread in I wound an old tape measure thru the spools and dropped in a couple of her thimbles. Then I dumped a small tub of craft buttons from Wal-Mart in and shook them thru. It looks really awesome and it's a great keepsake.
I love your idea! Can you post a photo of your lamp?

I have donated some of cheap inherited thread to a local high school's theatre department, but have kept some for basting, etc.
I don't think I have a picture of that lamp and it's still packed away.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I'll try and get that done next week, they are kinda cute
Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 AM

I don't think I would use thread that is on a wooden spool = too old. Thread does deteriorate over time.