Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading different machines >

Threading different machines

Threading different machines

Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM

When we do clinics with 4H kids we ask them to bring the manuals. Problem is, some borrow an older machine and the manual is no longer around. Having a way to look up instructions is a good backup. I know I have a couple older machines that have missing manuals due to moves etc. Fine for me cause I know the machines but difficult for anyone else
Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
What Janome do you have that uses a round needle, and where do you gt them, is it an old machine? Just curious, and threading it with the flst of the needle sounds right.
It's not an old machine at all. It's a Janome 1600P DB, and is very similar to the Brother Nouvelle 1500, which I also own. They are both straight-stitch, 9-inch harp, high speed machines. I buy Organ needles for both machines. Because they're so similar, I use the Janome as a backup, so it's been a while since I had to purchase needles. I'd probably buy them online.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 AM
mac

I didn't read all of the comments, so forgive me if I am repeating what others have said...

IF there is a sewing needle in the machine already, you can feel where the slit is in the sewing machine needle. Just use your finger to feel. If you are not sure what I am talking about, take a sewing machine needle from your pack of needles and look closely at it. You will see a groove that goes down the length of the needle: this is the side that you will thread your needle from.

Another way is to take a mirror and look up where the needle is inserted. This will show you which side the flat part of the needle needs to be inserted. Since the flat side of the needle is the opposite side of where you put your thread in (the side with the slit), you will know which side you thread the needle from.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Why not ask the owners to please have machine threaded so you can follow the path
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Have the students send you an email with photo attached or text with photo attached and the make and model of the machine. So you can find any manuals and also keep a couple magnifying glasses on hand. Often young eyes can't see the eye of the needle.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM

If the last thread guide is on the right, put the thread in from the right. If the last thread guide is on the left, put the thread in from the left.

I have two machines that have very different threading from the spool to the needle. One is a Delta Rotary and the other is the Eldridge Two Spool. The thread comes from the spool, over the edge of the face plate, makes a complete right turn around the tension mechanism, down to a thread guide, up to the thread take up lever, crosses over it self again to the next thread guide and then down to the needle. I would never have figured that out without the manual.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It's not an old machine at all. It's a Janome 1600P DB, and is very similar to the Brother Nouvelle 1500, which I also own. They are both straight-stitch, 9-inch harp, high speed machines. I buy Organ needles for both machines. Because they're so similar, I use the Janome as a backup, so it's been a while since I had to purchase needles. I'd probably buy them online.
well now I am curious because I recently acquired a brother Nouvelle 1500 and it
doesnt use round needles. I have the manual.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
well now I am curious because I recently acquired a brother Nouvelle 1500 and it
doesnt use round needles. I have the manual.
I never said the Brother takes round needles. I said my Janome takes round needles.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 PM

I used my old Singer for over a year w/the needle in the wrong way. No it didn't sew perfect but I was surprised (once I realized it was wrong) by how much sewing I had gotten done w/the needle in wrong. It was like having a new machine once I put the needle in correctly, LOL.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I never said the Brother takes round needles. I said my Janome takes round needles.
I do apologize. I got it wrong. Sorry.