Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Threading A Serger

:cry: I have a Serger I brought 4 years ago. I used it once, until I un-threaded it.....does anyone have any idea of how to Thread a Serger, especially the upper and lower loopers> :oops: Instructions are not very clear...

What brand is it? There might be some online help.

What brand is it? There might be some online help.
    (sorry double post, how did that happen :roll: )

Blog Entries
    I have a 20 year old Simplicity brand serger (the name does NOT fit - not simple at all :( ). I have to thread the 3rd & 4th before the 1st & 2nd. When it's threaded correctly it works beautifully. When the thread breaks or I want to change color, I can never get it right. It has so few miles on it for that reason. I wish it was easier. They sell self threading ones...sure wish I could afford that one!

Someone gave me a serger - I was excited - until I went to thread it - egad!!! It's going back to them...

Banned
    I had the same problem and went back to the shop twice to learn to thread it. Then I realized what my problem was.
    I had learned to thread it in order of the instructions and I should have focused on learning to thread each looper regardless of the order. So I went back and we threaded each individually regardless of the order and I finally GOT IT. The instruction book should be tossed for what good it is.
    When you get it threaded try and be careful and not let the loopers get unthreaded. I am sure you know this but when changing thread, tie the next color to the end of that on the machine. Watch the path as the new color goes thru the loopers. This will reinforce the threading.

Mine takes me an hour to thread. Once is done I tie a knot at the end so there is no chance for it to come undone. When I need it I cut the knot and tie it again when I am done. If I need to change colors I tie the new thread to the old one fo follow the path. Is the only way if I don't want to be there for hours.

Yes they can be tempermental litte devils. When I am changing colours on mine I always allow 1 hour, but if it works right the first time it only takes a couple of minutes, but there have been several times when I needed the whole hour and sometimes more (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormie
    :cry: I have a Serger I brought 4 years ago. I used it once, until I un-threaded it.....does anyone have any idea of how to Thread a Serger, especially the upper and lower loopers> :oops: Instructions are not very clear...
    When I first got mine I spent a whole day trying to get it threaded. That lower looper .... well, I can't say it here! Then the next day I thougt, give it one more try. That was the day I realized mine was a self-threader and the manual didn't tell me that! It was a manual that was used for several models. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Arent they the hardest things to thread? But! The manual tells you how, and you must follow the directions. Those darn things must be threaded in the correct order or it just don't work! Ask me how I know! Oh, you casn buy a looper threader that really helps with that lower looper!

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    Someone gave me a serger - I was excited - until I went to thread it - egad!!! It's going back to them...
    Don't give up. Once you get the hang of it, they are WONDERFUL machines. I love mine. My frustration comes from changing needles but I found the neatest tool at quilt show to simplify that.

The posts saying to tie the new thread to the old and let it thread itself (once you get it threaded the first time) is the best advice. Then pray the thread doesn't break :cry: :cry:

Blog Entries
    I don't have, will never have and have never had any experience with a serger so I don't know if my suggestion is logical. Viewing from the outside as one who does not know anything about them, I am wondering if the thread path would accomodate 'crochet' yarn? If it would, could you thread each path with a different bright color of yarn and photo the thread paths for future reference. ?????????? If the yarn wouldn't work would there be any value in taking a photo of the thread paths when it is threaded with serger thread? Maybe each path in different colors.
    If this is just a dumb idea ignore me as one who has no idea.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It is a relief to know that I'm not the only one who has a hard time with this situation. The Brand name I have forgotten, since I put the serger way in the back of my closet. I brought it on HSN.
    But I will try every suggestion given to me...
    WISH ME LUCK!!!

Thanks Again.

Power Poster
    I hate it when the threads break in the serger.

I have problems with getting the thread to go through some of the holes in the bars in the path.

How I "deal with" that - I have some stiff nylon thread - the kind that would scratch if used on underwear - and I run it "backwards" through the holes - and then tie on the thread I want to use and pull it through.

I use the machine a lot - but rethreading it when the threads break is a major bother.

I'm going to dig it out of my Closet, one more time and try again. After I go on UTube, I will be tying the ends togther, so I won't have this problem again...hopefully :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    what kind is it? so you could find a video or tutorial to watch online

I forget what brand it is. But will search UTube for a Tutorial. Brought it from HSN.....lol

I sold my serger not long after I got it. Too much frustration to thread it. good luck with yours.

Thanks mic-pa.....going to try once again. I hate that this situation is getting the best of me.

I must be lucky. I've never had problems with mine. Each brand has goods and bads. I've found the cheaper the serger, the harder to thread (this is especially true for older sergers). Advice without knowing what your machine is and your specific issue (you might get the needles right but the loopers wrong kind of thing) isn't really helpful. I suggest that you find someone that knows how to thread it, use different colors for each path, then follow the path. Photograph it, draw it out, whatever works for you and write you own personal directions that makes sense to YOU. I can guarantee that any manual I write makes sense to me, but half my readers will be scratching their head going, HUH?

Blog Entries
    I always refer to the threading diagram on the inside of the cover (opens on the left). Each path is color-coded, plus the number. It is *very* important to thread in the numbered-order; otherwise the thread can keep breaking on you. If I break one thread, I usually have to take all the threads out in order t re-thread in the proper order.

I also loosen all the tension knobs as much as possible before threading to help get the threads seated properly in the tensions. I don't tighten the tensions until everything is threaded.

Once you have it threaded correctly, and want to change threads, the easiest thing to do is cut the old threads near the spools, then tie the new thread onto the old thread. You cannot do this with the needle threads (knot will usually not go through the eye of the needle), but it works *great* for the loopers, which are the most difficult anyway.

My SIL told me always tie the new thread to the old one and pull it through, I have always done this and works like a charm,

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Phyl
    My SIL told me always tie the new thread to the old one and pull it through, I have always done this and works like a charm,
    And this method works great until a thread breaks in the looper part.
    :|

Mine is color coded. For example, for one of the loopers, I have to put the thread that goes around the blue tension knob through everything that is blue, etc., etc. Is yours color coded?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast