Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thready quilt backs >

Thready quilt backs

Thready quilt backs

Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM

I'm just wondering: for the people who seem to maul their fabric and make the seams unravel, wouldn't it be more efficient to wait till you have the top all pieced to trim the threads? A seam trimmed to 1/4" of the fabric is a lot more likely to become unsewn at the edge of the fabric than one that has a couple of inches left to dangle.
Yes, starch would be a big help, and smaller stitches, too. Maybe a beginning sewist would benefit from leaving those long tails until they are sure they won't need to ease that seam, or stretch to fit, lol.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 AM

I guess I never gave it much thought. I don't use starch either. Good thing I LA my own quilts, and so far (knock on wood) I've not had a problem with around 60 quilts done.

i do take my quilts outside and give them a good shake before I put them on the LA - to help knock off the loose threads. Maybe it helps that I prefer to use smaller pieces, so normally the only time I'm dealing with longer loose fray threads is when I'm putting on the binding.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Aha! The ones bugging me the most are Bonnie Hunter quilts, too. All those little pieces!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Thanks to you and the others who recommended starch. I have been using it more and more. Four big cans of spray starch at Costco, or when I prewash, I dip the washed fabric in starch before ironing (oops, pressing!). I guess that I've been doing the right things, just keep trying not to handle the pieces too much and trim as I go.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:33 AM

Spent about an hour yesterday morning removing threads from the back of my latest throw quilt. Thread didn't come so much from the colorful printed quilt material as it did from the Kona Snow from Hobby Lobby that I had used. Now only the border print to add on and the top will be ready to sit and wait until I find the perfect backing,
Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 AM

I've never taken a photo of the back of a WIP. I do the dreaded trimming when the top is complete. I learned not to leave it until sandwiching time, as it seems an even worse job then. It does take time, and I haven't figured out a way around that yet.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:24 PM

I think trimming the thread raveling is just part of the process. There's just no way around it. I do trim the wrong side of any raveling fabric because I do Not want those threads showing through the top. Again, I think that's just part of the process. I don't use starch because I'm asthmatic and have, of late, been having serious problems with that. It's not worth an asthma attack -- I'll trim the threads! lol!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-07-2019 at 02:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-07-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I don't use starch because I'm asthmatic and have, of late, been having serious problems with that. It's not worth an asthma attack
I'm assuming you've been using aerosol starch. Have you tried non-aerosol starch? I buy Niagra non-aerosol spray starch in the grocery store. My boys love the smell.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:04 PM

I think posting pictures of quilts is a lot like social media. People tend to post the pretty parts of their lives! Sometimes my backs are photo worthy and other times they are a hot mess.