Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time for borders.... >

Time for borders....

Time for borders....

Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 AM

I made the same quilt from Fresh Lemons site, and I made the binding out of scraps from the kites. I toyed with the idea of a white border of the width of the smallest kites then an outside band of scraps of 1/2 that width. I just ran out of steam and just used the scrappy strip as binding. That fine balance of creativity and urge to finish tilted to finish.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

Do you have enough of the dark purple you used in the quilt??? Where is Hot Rod?? Is he getting camera shy now a days or taking longer siestas??
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Do you have enough of the dark purple you used in the quilt??? Where is Hot Rod?? Is he getting camera shy now a days or taking longer siestas??

Yes, I have more of the dark purple. That is probably what I will use. (I always have purple, in all shades. ) My quilt inspector was sleeping on the job when I took pictures. He prefers posing on completed quilts, anyway. Until the quilt is actually finished, he sits on the back half of my sewing chair, leaning up against me. So his presence is always felt....

Dina
Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I like your idea of the 2" white border followed by a 5 1/2" border.
I agree. It seems this pattern needs a border of the background fabric to have the blocks floating. Then whatever choice of outer border would be the quilter's choice.

This is a beautiful quilt.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Laurajbr View Post
I made the same quilt from Fresh Lemons site, and I made the binding out of scraps from the kites. I toyed with the idea of a white border of the width of the smallest kites then an outside band of scraps of 1/2 that width. I just ran out of steam and just used the scrappy strip as binding. That fine balance of creativity and urge to finish tilted to finish.
Beautiful quilt, great suggestions! Thanks for mentioning the Fresh Lemons site, I checked it out and it looks like some fun ideas.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM

Well of course you're thinking of a purple border, haha! I like your idea of the small white and larger purple.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I just finished the center of a Kaleidoscopic Kites quilt (free pattern online). The pattern doesn't call for borders, but I am one of those folks who just must have borders. (It is the only way to give my eyes a place to rest.)

I was thinking of a small white border....2 inches and then a larger darkish purple outer border. What do you think? What size would you make the outer border. (I have no particular size quilt in mind. This is already bigger than I expected, so I will just put it on a larger bed. )

You will have to pretend that my design wall is bigger than it is.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dina
I love the idea of a purple border as well. I like borders myself. To me, the quilt looks finished with a border.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Thanks, folks. I appreciate your opinion. I will post a picture when I finish. I am a bit tired of it right now, but I will get back to it soon.

Dina
I am the same way, get tired of the same quilt after a while. I am working on one right now, and not too far from being finished. I will be glad to finish it, and do some other things beside quilting. I have to break from it...
Old 05-20-2016, 03:16 AM

With that narrow flip of white peeking around, have you auditioned a narrow dark purple border and a wider white one? Could do a pretty quilting design in the white. The wider white might not be as serviceable with it being touched more commonly. Love your colors. Very nice quilt!
Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 AM

I would bind in the purple and let that be my border. I get tired of quilts, also. I often finish the top and put it aside to work on another project for a time.