Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 AM

Please don't give up. It sounds like you have started some blocks that are beyond your current skill level. Start with some easy blocks (like no triangles).

I deliberately pick block patterns that I feel confident that I will be successful. That's the fun for me, anyway. If a project becomes frustrating, it becomes a UFO.

I have such admiration for some of the quilters on the board who post pictures of incredibly difficult designs. I admire them and think, "maybe some day, I can do things like that..." There are so many things to learn to become a quilter, we are all learning.....but please don't give up......

A beginning quilt class is a good start to go over all of the basics. Even if you've been quilting for awhile, you'll pick up tips. One of our favorite teachers in my area has been quilting since she was 13 (she now has grandchildren) and the things she knows and is so willing to share..

And once again, please don't give up---
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Dear Sharon,

Don't dispair. When I started quilt work back in 1995, my work was a mess. There is so much to learn. I kept up and you know, it's still not perfect but I'm enjoying the process. Some good advise I can see from other answers. Take classes. If you can afford a beginners class, that would be a big help. Someone mentioned paper piecing. That really helped me to get my points together. ...and there are so many books out there that can be helpful plus free instructions on the web.

and eventually, you'll find your niche or the type of quilting you feel most comfortable with. There are so many choices now. I found mine in hand piecing, quilting, applique. My best friend found hers in art quilts. Another friend just loves all by machine. Keep at it.

Happy Quilting. :thumbup:
Old 06-19-2011, 06:57 AM

um how long have you been quilting? I think your too hard on yourself, I am not meaning to offend you..........remember when you remove a seam even very carefull there is some stretch that will occur. In addition quilting involves mechanics too, cutting your fabric and even where you sit at your sewing machine. Sitting slightly to the left or right of your needle can change your sight even 1/8 th of an inch.
Perhaps you need to hear me say..........it will never be noticed by a man riding by on a galloping horse..............and like a previous post, the PP method is very acurate and that your work probably isn't shoddy or sloppy..............take a breath.........skills will improve..........your math skills are needed in my household now..........with a quilting pattern written for 6 blocks.............girls .....however I want them in different dresses....................sheesh..............I was a dreamer in algerbra................calla...............hee hee hee
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 AM

I can only add to all the above...Trust me I shake my head and wish I could reclaim some of my original gift quilts to family members. Everyday I look at things and say "you've so improved" and what helps more for me is the challenge of joining some of the site's swaps because it encourages me to do blocks I've never done before...
I love PP and yes you may want to obtain "Carol Doak" PP DVD that's how I learned...she makes it so easy...
Also what helps me in matching seams and pts is to not use your reg stitch but I do a baste stitch first, see if it matches if it doesn't it's just pulling out the stitch rebaste until you get it and no ripping...If it matches I just sew right over it...SEW SIMPLE...
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 AM

I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so I pin a lot. I use the very fine thin silk pins that I can even sew over if I want. However, I usually take the pin out just before the needle is ready to hit it. Pinning, especially at matched seems really keeps things lined up. I put a pin on either side of the seam. My sister never pinned anything, but she did not care if her seams did not line up.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM

I couldn't cut my squares up correctly. Went to a class and found out I had put my rotary cutter blade on for a lefty and I'm a righty. Who knew? Certainly not me. DUH!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm a real novice and lining up seams is difficult for me too. Then someone on the board started a topic about Elmer's washable school glue. It's easy as pie but I'm not good at explanations, so maybe you can ask on this thread or do a search. It works like a charm!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 AM

I really think that we're too hard on ourselves sometimes. Quilts don't have to be perfect. I make mine to keep those I love warm and to snuggle under. It doesn't matter if any seams match; they're just as warm. Relax. Give yourself permission to not be perfect. Never rip a seam more than once, and be happy with the results.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Quilting is practice practice practice and more practice.

Just when you get a basic block down to an acceptable finish - you'll spy a block that's a little more difficult and it'll challenge you to practice some more till you get it right.

So start simple - get that 1/4" RIGHT on your machine (remembering that sometimes it's not a 1/4" measurement).

I've seen WONDERFUL ARTISTIC quilts that are made by MAGICAL quilters. I know I will NEVER be able to make what they make - but that's ok - I make what I can make ... to my satisfaction.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Please dont give up. If you could post some pics of what you are having trouble with, you will get some gentle guidance here as to how to fix it or if it even needs to be fixed. Sometimes we are way too critical of our own work. Being a perfectionist is tough.

There are a few tried and true tricks to cutting accurately, sewing accurately, lining up seams, etc. that you only learn by doing and with the mentoring of an experienced person. We have all made mistakes and we have all learned from others. It just takes patience, time and a little guidance.

Come on show us whats bugging you.