Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it time to call it quits? >

Is it time to call it quits?

Is it time to call it quits?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Well first off you have a lot going for you being a math whiz. I have dyscalcula and can not calculate the simplest of things. The second thing is I have learned to embrace my imperfections. I do not plan on entering any contest .I mostly do scrappy which hide a ton of "mistakes" And third is I do this for enjoyment so I don't let it stress me out.

Now take a deep breath ;)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
The fun of a swap is it is open to all skill levels.

No one is going to be hyper because they got a block that is a little wonky...or dang they'd be slinging my name all over.

I use the swaps as a testing ground for new techniques so every one is a guinea pig project.

I've gotten a few wonky blocks and am so glad they were sent because that person didn't give up and was hopefully having fun.

Remember...there's no such thing as a perfect quilt...never ever anywhere anytime.
Wonderful attitude,thanks :)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
The fun of a swap is it is open to all skill levels.

No one is going to be hyper because they got a block that is a little wonky...or dang they'd be slinging my name all over.

I use the swaps as a testing ground for new techniques so every one is a guinea pig project.

I've gotten a few wonky blocks and am so glad they were sent because that person didn't give up and was hopefully having fun.

Remember...there's no such thing as a perfect quilt...never ever anywhere anytime.
Great attitude ... and I'd think a good way to help one remember the progress they have made by accepting others ... and include work of those at levels they aspire to achieve. Kind of like a sampler of abilities!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM

I have often said that if I could sew straight and cut straight I would be a really good quilter, but I don't let that issue be a problem for me. I just keep trying. A friend told me to try to improve some aspect of my quilting with every quilt I make. So that is what I am trying to do. I love, love, love quilting. I love picking out fabric ... another problem for me ... cutting it out, sewing it up, and amazing a quilt is born. Some of the seams don't match up perfectly, but after it's quilted, you have a hard time finding the problem areas. If you enjoy quilting, please keep on trying. It's too much fun to give up and this Board is so encouraging.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 AM

let's see your block and maybe we can help u
have u ever taken a class if not a good thing to do
don't give up
remember practice makes perfect :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM

have a 1/4 inch foot, using your ruler properly measure twice cut once
Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 PM
bj

Don't give up! It's too much fun, eventually :-D ! When I first started I lost so many points it was embarrassing. A couple of things that helped me: 1. I slightly overcut on hst and then trim to the right size, 2. I put a piece of moleskin to use as a guide for the 1/4" seam, and 3. I don't stress about those few points that still disappear. Remember, to press and not iron so you don't distort your blocks. (Ask me how I know this is important :-D :-D ). I also have to say that the math kicks in at some point and things just start making more sense and being a little easier. Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

sorry folks but I don't read anywhere here that specifically describes the problem.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
sorry folks but I don't read anywhere here that specifically describes the problem.
?????????????????????????? I don't understand what you mean, she said that she was having problems getting points to line up.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement and advice.

I've finished the 12 squares for the swap. I may have to add a border to get them to the required 12 1/2 inch size but I'm ok with that. I have done some practice with seam allowance and have found that moving my needle position over one tic to the right gives me the correct seam allowance.

I know I can do this - just have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and quilters don't have perfection for a very, very long time - if every. De-stashing sale is cancelled!