Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Time for a new machine?

Time for a new machine?

I have a husqvarna designer topaz 30 (with embroidery hoop). I've had it for about 8-9 years. Lately it's been giving me more and more problems - within the last year, it's been in the shop about 5 times.

Nothing is major - it's all "fine-tuning", and the guy who repairs them is great - half the time he doesn't even charge me. I can simply show up and say it's doing this, and he'll fix it on the spot.

However, I'm getting frustrated with all of the little things. They all get fixed, and then they stop working again:

- doesn't tell me when the bobbin is empty
    - doesn't cut properly (it will cut the top, but the not bobbin, or vice versa!)
    - gets out of alignment frequently
    - the automatic threader doesn't line up with the needle
    - it flat out won't sew some threads - sulky for example when I was trying to use it for applique
    - when I'm doing embroidery - it jams a lot, so I can't trust it anymore to do a quilt with embroidery because it's wrecked the last two

Does this mean it's time to start looking? Am I just putting off the inevitable?

I use my machine every single day for a good 2-3 hours ... so, I am definitely working it!

Thanks for any input!

If you've had 8 years of heavy use it might be time. It's an inconvenience to constantly be taking your machine in for repairs
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I'd get a new machine and keep this one for backup. I do think it's time.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Simple answer: yes. At this point it's probably a lot of money and a lot of time you are putting into the old machine.

Maybe. The newer machines do have a life. My beloved Viking Rose died two years ago, and the dealer told me that she'd had others do the same at about the same time.

I agree with the others. Sounds like too much time and frustration are going into that one.

Blog Entries
    Time to Do It!

The new machines are not built to last decades like the older ones. With all the new features it's impossible. I would check out Eversewn Sparrow 30 machine. Has all the features but embroidery. The Eversewn Hero has embroidery. I have used both and they are excellent at a reasonable price.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My 20 year old Bernina is still going strong. I do take it in once a year for a tune up and don't seriously sweat the small stuff like when the knee lift quit working. I just wait for the next tune up and get it fixed then. I've had 2 of them and always like the quality of Bernina's machines and feet.

Just like cars, the newer machines with all the features have more things to go wrong and I feel that they need more professional maintenance. I guess its just the price you pay for all the electronic features.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight