Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time to sandwich - not my favorite thing to do. >

Time to sandwich - not my favorite thing to do.

Time to sandwich - not my favorite thing to do.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 PM

I have tried elmer's glue but have not had much luck with it. My hands hurt from squeezing the bottle and I just could not get a rhythm with applying the glue, either too thick or too thin. It does wash out very easily. I seem to get a distortion or rippling effect with spray basting. Pins with pinmoors have worked the best for me, however, I am constantly repining and smoothing. It sounds like I am not alone in this phase of quilting. Thanks for all of your support. Those of you who have used the boards ... was the quilt sandwich tight enough to baste without rippling?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 AM

The easiest way to sandwich your quilt is on a longarm! Find a longarm quilter who will baste it for you (usual charge is .01 cents per square inch) and barter something (I hate to hand-sew the bindings and would barter for that ) so it is no money out of your pocket and you get a quilt that has been basted perfectly with no tucks!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:16 AM

I don't mind getting the quilt sandwiched, as I'm a fan of Elmer's glue, it's just coming up with the backing that I have a problem with on smaller quilts. Larger quilts, no problem, just get it on the longarm and I'm good to go.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 AM

I hate making the sandwich too! Oh to be able to hand off to a long armer. But, it's not in the checkbook, I just can't see paying more for my "gifts". Bella Boo, I love your idea of using the tables! I have one and would probably just need one more since I make small quilts. Sure beats cleaning glue off the floor. I love the Elmers method too. I introduced it to my bee and one person tried it and ruined a quilt so no one else is willing to try it. No idea what she did, I just know she didn't have something right.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 AM

having the right space is the key. My current quilt is a king size (hand-quilting it) and i took it up to church, laid it out on several of the large tables, got a rolling chair and rolled back and forth and in about and in about 4 hours or so, i had it hand basted.

I will definitely do that again!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I'ts simple not to get blobs when using school glue. Add a dollop of warm water to the glue and it streams out the bottle without effort in a thin stream.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I also love my longarm, no sandwiching required, LOL. Try elemers or spray basting should ease your pain a little bit.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I'ts simple not to get blobs when using school glue. Add a dollop of warm water to the glue and it streams out the bottle without effort in a thin stream.
I have do this and I have mixed it in a bowl with a bit of warm water and painted it on with a paintbrush. No way to get globs if you paint it on with a brush. I used one of those cheap throw away sponge brushes. (Of course, I didn't throw it away afterward. My inner cheapskate made me wash it!)
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I did the same as dunster and DogHouseMom. Not so unbelievable at all ;-)

prior to that, the board method worked well for me, but still not enjoyable.
Me too! I loathed sandwiching and basting with such a white hot passion it was one of the top 3 reasons I got a LA.
In fact it was probably reason #2, reason #1 being I was really, REALLY awful at FMQ on my domestic.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM

haha, we are of one mind there. You were born to quilt with a longarm. I love your work!