Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tiny Holes In Fabric >

Tiny Holes In Fabric

Tiny Holes In Fabric

Old 04-29-2018, 04:13 AM

I consider those as part of the selvedge and cut it off. Otherwise it seems to be wrinkly and distorts the shape of what I'm trying to do.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:10 AM

Some day this discussion will be provided as the source of the saying; "cut off your selvages before using the fabric".
Old 04-29-2018, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
A selvedge end with tiny holes is from the hooks used on fabric looms by textile companies during the manufacturing process. They should be cut off just like the opposite selvedge with the fabric info printed on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]593710[/ATTACH]
This picture shows the holes actually in the selvedge and needs to be cut off. But sometimes the holes are in fabric that could be used. I have used my thumb nail and rubbed over the holes in many directions. That is a big help. And after that, they really are hardly noticeable after washing.

I don't cut much off of selvedges. If the print goes to the edge, I only cut off that last edge that is heavier than the rest. If there is white showing, I cut off enough to let about 1/8 inch of white showing. That goes into the seam allowance. You can see, I don't waste.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 AM

I have wet the fabric to see if the holes disappear. Sometimes they do and I use it and sometimes I just cut it away.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 AM

I cut the holes off, and I cut off the heavy selvage. I might use the white labeled part in the seam allowance of what I am making only if I am running short of the fabric.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

They are part of the selvedge, found on most all fabrics except maybe batiks. Just cut the whole selvedge, including the tiny holes, off.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
Some day this discussion will be provided as the source of the saying; "cut off your selvages before using the fabric".
I was taught to always remove selvages and this is what I do. I remove them as I do my cutting, it is just a habit developed out of years of sewing.

The selvages are still there even if the holes aren't. This fabric is coarser and I find it to be scrap usable for other projects.

Last edited by Aurora; 04-29-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 AM

I've found that batiks often have those holes. I was told it was the way the gray goods were fastened on to the frame during the batiking process.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
If the holes are tiny enough would they not close up after washing/drying?? If it were for a wall hanging that was not going to be laundered I might think differently. But for a quilt that will be washed/dried either before gifting or in general use, would they disappear?? As in, if we rip (oh no!) a seam or 6, those holes close up upon laundering?? Just a thought.
I've been told that they shrink...gather...after washing, so I always cut them off.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:02 PM

I try not to waste also as I often work scrappy. I look at the weave. Often one selvedge has a wider heavier weave. I think that it would behave differently during washing and drying so I cut that off. The other side often just has a 1/4 inch of stronger weaving so I cut each side independently.